JLD7100 not working

laffin_boy

JLD7100 not working

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi,

I just bought a JLD7100 to use as a temp controller converting a chest freezer into a chest refrigerator. I'm using "T" thermocouple wire & a 115vac power relay turned on by the J1 contacts. I have 2 problems:

(1) The initialization procedure of this unit is not according to the TET7100_Instructional_Manuel.pdf I downloaded.
(2) The unit doesn't hold the JI output on.

The JLD7100 is wired like this:

1 & 2 = 115vac
3 = empty
4 = 115vac (blk)
5 = eternal power relay coil #1
6 = thermocouple (-)
7 = thermocouple (+)
8, 9 & 10 = empty

Here are my code "0089" settings:

Inty = "t"
Outy = "1"
Caty = no such entry. What shows up on the screen is "Hy" and it has a default of "0003" which I didn't change since I don't know what this is! (note: just downloaded the user manual for the 612 - since it's newer - and it shows the "Hy" entry but doesn't explain what it is or why you'd want to change it)
PSb = "0"
Rd = "1"
CorF = "1"

My code "0001" settings:

SV = 0340 (which I hope is 34.0°)
AH1 = 0370
AL1 = 0340

When I first plug the unit in now - after setting all the parameters - the J1 output cycles on and off for a fraction of a second and I can see my power relay doing the same so I know that J1 *can* work but even though the display is reading the temp accurately and the temp is above the AH1 point the J1 output never turns on again - whether autotuning is on or off.

Any ideas?
laffin_boy

Re: JLD7100 not working

Post by laffin_boy »

OK an update after doing more troubleshooting:

I downloaded the user manual for the Auber SYL-1512A2 since they're almost the same unit (except the Auber has additional features) and after reading that manual I understand that the "Hy" setting is the hysteresis or "dead band" setting. It's default setting is 0003 - which I assume is 0.3 degrees so I set it to 0030 for 3.0 degrees F. (ie: I want the refrigerator to turn on at 37° F and off at 34° F)

Before making this change (hysteresis) when I plugged in the 7100 it would cycle the J1 output on for a fraction of a second & then off again but since resetting the hysteresis setting to 3 degrees the J1 output never comes on at all under any conditions.

I actually bought 3 of these units for various projects - naively assuming that they'd (1) come with understandable instructions and (2) that they'd work when I wired them correctly. (so much for assumptions) So I swapped out the 1st 7100 unit for another one, set all the parameters and unit #2 works exactly like #1 - which is not at all.

Marco ????
richiem

Post by richiem »

I think the default Hy = 0003 means 3 degrees and you've set it for 30 degrees. As to the rest of the problem, I have no experience with the unit and can't comment.
laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

Hi, Thanks for commenting.
richiem wrote:I think the default Hy = 0003 means 3 degrees and you've set it for 30 degrees. As to the rest of the problem, I have no experience with the unit and can't comment.
Well I certainly thought about that but in all of the default numerical values in the menus the last column was tenths of a unit. IE: 80° was shown as 0800.

But, just to test this, I heated the TC tip today so that it was > 30° above the set point but the J1 relay never turned on.

So where's Marco ?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Marco is here! Just 'home' not too long ago. I got injuries while I was in China and 'm getting some improvement now. Both X-way and CAD scan were OK.

Anyway, I'll do some tests on the controller see if I can duplicate your problem. But I don't have T type thermocouple but K and J only. Not sure if it will make the difference.

My suggestion for you is to try "Auto Tune" to let the controller to set P.I.D for iteself

Marco
laffin_boy

Post by laffin_boy »

Thanks for your post Marco - I hope you're feeling better.

OK, i’ve made some progress troubleshooting and now have the J1 output working. (the problem was my “Hy” settings

Code: Select all

and the “SV”, “AH1” & “AL1” [code”0001”] were all off by a factor of 10 as “richiem” suggested. This happened because the “TET7100_Instructional_Manuel.pdf” leads you in the wrong direction. I’ll post in some detail about the changes needed in the manual in a future post). But now that I have configured the correct settings and the unit turns the J1 output on & off in a semi-predictable manner I have found 3 new serious problems:

To review i’m using the TET/JLD7100 controller in the cooling mode, attempting to hold a refrigerator between 34°F & 37°F. The J1 output turns on a 115vac power relay which powers the refrig. I have “Hy” set for 3°, “SV” set for 34°, AH1 set for 37° and AL1 set for 34°.

Problem #1: After inputing all the correct settings I hooked everything up with the refrig temp about 38°. The 7100 unit immediately began cycling the J1 output on & off which, I believe, is caused by the PID circuit looking for the “correct” value. I turned on the autotune mode, the cycling stopped and the J1 output stayed on consistently until the internal temp dropped to 34°. Then the J1 output turned off as it should. The temp overshot a bit - down to 32°- and then slowly climbed back up. But when it reached 34° the J1 output [i]turned back on again[/i] - 3° too early. Questioning whether I understood the AH1 / AL1 settings correctly I reversed them so that AH1 was 34° & AL1 was 37°. That made no difference - when the temp climbed back up to 34° the J1 output always turns on. (I set them back to the way they were initially)

Problem #2: In the manual it says that the autotune mode will go through at least 3 full high / low cycles before it saves it’s settings and switches back to PID controlled mode. But after several attempts I was unable to get the autotune mode to do more than 1 1/2 cycles and then it would drop out and the PID-controller would cycle the J1 output on & off at about a 1 1/2 second rate. So autotune doesn’t appear to work long enough to get all the data it needs.

Problem #3: Since i’m running a refrigeration compressor motor I need an output that turns on, runs until the target temp is reached and then turns off. Cycling on & off or pulsing the motor will NOT work at all and will destroy the motor! So I need to know if this JLD7100 is even [i]capable[/i] of operating a refrigeration system in an On / Off mode.  I don't mind configuring the PID settings directly if there are values that would cause the PID to simulate an Off/On mode with no cycling.
pdarling

Post by pdarling »

I recently got a jld-7100 working in a similar cooling situation. I have a refrigerated system that can't have lots of on/off action if I want the motors to live very long. You can configure the 7100 to operate just like a basic thermostat, without PID operations. In the 0089 menu, I have outy set for 0, which enables me to use the alarm (relay) output to drive another relay for my motor, without PID operations. It just looks to the SV, AL1, AH1 values for when to turn on or off the relay. In this outy=0 state it seems the pid stuff is ignored. Also, on my 7100 at least, the SV AL1 and AH1 values do not include a decimal portion. I need a 55F tank, so SV is 0055, AH1 is 0056 and AL1 is 0055. hope that helps.
richiem

Post by richiem »

I think you're very close. I suggest looking at the JLD612 diagram on pag 4, Fig. 3, Rd=1 (cooling). If the 7100 works anything like this, then ignore PID control, as suggested previously, and use Outy=1, and set your SV (although I'm not sure SV matters here) and AL1 to the lowest temp where you want the motor to turn off. Use relay contacts C (common) and NO (normally open) which are 4 and 5 on the 612 -- not sure what they are on 7100.

I think you can ignore the Hy value -- I think it will be controlled by the difference between AH1 and AL1 -- set AH1 to the high temp where the compressor motor should turn on, say +4 or 5 degrees F above AL1 to prevent short-cycling. Be sure that Fahrenheit is the temp setting -- CorF = 1.

Let us know.

Return to “Temperature Controller”