Horrible Overshoot

kbar

Horrible Overshoot

Post by kbar »

Using the JLD-612 in a brewery. Need to control mash temps to a fized temperature, say 154F. When I finished wiring the system up and testing with a sanitizing solution, the temp rise was great. 50F to 80F at 1F/30seconds, when the PID controller finally went to 100% and not a 50% duty cycle, cycling the SSR.

My issue is that I had horrible overshoot. Shot 10F above the desire 80F (SV). Not acceptable. I know the manual has overshoot directions, but I am looking for some plain english on how to set the P, I and D.

Controlling a 1500W water heater element with mash being circluated in the brewery. Need to hold temps at +/- 1F, 144F to 158F range of temps for the mash. Thanks for your help! Brewing in two days!! Help!
richiem

Re: Horrible Overshoot

Post by richiem »

Read the manual on how to use the auto tuning system. It's easy and in your set-up, I think it will run quickly. After that, all should be well.
kbar

Post by kbar »

Thanks Richiem. Ran the AT this afternoon on the brewery. Started with 125F sanitized solution, set the temp controller for 152F and ran AT. It ran for 25 minutes getting the system to 152F, it shut down the AT by itself, and then it held the desired temp very well. I am pleased. Thanks!
Peetem

Post by Peetem »

What are your parameteres?

I'm using two for my brew system - one to control the mash (herms) and one to control my hlt.

I have found two problems - overshoot and the temp controller is horrible inccurate. I had to adjust the hlt controller to add around 30 degrees to the reading (it read ok until about 150 degree F) and 6 degrees to the mash temp reading.

Thanks!
Peetem

Post by Peetem »

What are your parameteres?

I'm using two for my brew system - one to control the mash (herms) and one to control my hlt.

I have found two problems - overshoot and the temp controller is horrible inccurate. I had to adjust the hlt controller to add around 30 degrees to the reading (it read ok until about 150 degree F) and 6 degrees to the mash temp reading.

Thanks!

Return to “Temperature Controller”