GLD612 question

robinhood

GLD612 question

Post by robinhood »

To send heat to a heater using about 250w,, do I connect the heater wire to 6 and 7? At this time I am not using a SSR or relay and if I decide to use a relay what type of relay should I be using? Will appreciate you input...
richiem

Re: GLD612 question

Post by richiem »

Definitely use a relay -- you're needing about 2+ Amps of current (if you're using 120VAC) for the heater and that's too close to the internal relay's rating for my comfort, even with a resistive load.

SSRs are easiest overall, since the JLD612 controls them directly with the correct drive -- just make sure that you get the polarity correct between the SSR's control input and the 612's output. I recommend a 10 Amp SSR.
robinhood

Post by robinhood »

I would favor to have an SSR but I have limited space under the hood where the controller is installed, so maybe I go just for a relay, but really don't know what kind to get..?
richiem

Post by richiem »

SSRs aren't a lot larger than other high-current relays, and often are smaller -- say 2"x2"x 1/2".

If you use a conventional relay, you're going to need one with contact ratings that can handle at least 5A continuous at 120V. Use a 120VAC coil model, so that you don't have to use other voltages than line voltage or make a DC power supply. The internal relay in the JLD612 can easily control a 120VAC coil current relay no problem.

But I would definitely use an SSR -- they are easy to mount wherever convenient and with your lower power heater, if you use a higher current model, say 40 or 60 Amps, which will be the same size, you won't need a heat sink on the SSR.

Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed information.
robinhood

Post by robinhood »

Thanks for your help, I did not know that a 40amp SSR didn't require a heat sinker! I guess that's the route I am going to take, again....thanks a bunch for your help..

Return to “Temperature Controller”