JLD 634

nate186

JLD 634

Post by nate186 »

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying JLD 634. I have a small glass kiln that runs at 120 Volts and 17 amps with just a reostat type switch and no pyrometer. Would your controller work on 120V? Is there any other parts that I would need like power cord, thermo couple, seperate pyrometer, etc.? Thanks for the help, I'm not to technically inclined if you know what I mean.

Nathan
Tech_Marco

Re: JLD 634

Post by Tech_Marco »

The controller works from AC 86V to 265V. You need a thermocouple, a SSR, and a power cord. If you don't have technical background, it's a little challenge for you to handle the JLD634. It's more complicated than the JLD612 as the 634 is both PV domain and Time Domain PID temperature controller with up to 64 setpoints (I found 32 only)
tomocar

Post by tomocar »

Also Nate, depending on your needs you might still prefer the 634 -- since you are working with glass I know a little bit to share...

Such a small kiln, you must be doing fusing or slumping, is that right?

If you need just to set a temperature that the controller holds until you manually adjust it, then get the (less costly) JDL612 as Marco advised. If you need to set a "hold" temp that you bring the kiln up to to start, and then have it slowly ramp down automatically to anneal the glass, then you need the JDL634. Of course you can manually slowly adjust the temp down and down on the JDL612, but if you want to set it up to automatically anneal the glass that's exactly what the JDL634 is designed to do. Although, it is complicated to it set up.

In either case, you still need the "power" components in addition to the controller. Think of the controller as a thermostat - it only turns on and off a tiny voltage that turns on/off a "relay" - and the contacts of the relay turn on/off the 120 Volt (much higher current). An "SSR" is a "solid state relay" -- you connect the temperature controller to the input side of the SSR and you put the output side in series with the line voltage and the kiln (just as if it were a switch).

If you want me to draw this out for you let me know.

-Tom
tomocar

Post by tomocar »

BTW you need a high-temp thermocouple - such as this one from lightobject: http://www.lightobject.com/High-Tempera ... -P411.aspx

Return to “Temperature Controller”