Setting up JDL634 - first time

tomocar

Setting up JDL634 - first time

Post by tomocar »

Hello,

I am new to working with PID controllers (although pretty good with computers and electronics - so can figure out some stuff). I just can't quite understand some of the setup stuff in the manual. Could you give me a step-by-step for a sample program (just for an example) and maybe I can figure out variations on that later on my own.

Here's what I want to start out with:

Simple on/off control - no ramp and soak yet...
Use main SSR output to drive SCR (no need for alarm relays at first)
Set C/F to F
Set heat/cool to Heat
Set proportion to 100%
Set set temp to 2200F

Not sure what to do with the PID settings or how to use AT. We will bring the furnace up to operating temp slowly manually and then have the controller keep it between 2100 and 2200 (for example). A hysteresis of 50 to 100 degrees should not be a problem and we don't want the (monster 200 AMP) SCR turning on and off rapidly.

Anyway, could you give me a step-by-step to get these initial settings going?

Thanks for all your help!

Tom
Tech_Marco

Re: Setting up JDL634 - first time

Post by Tech_Marco »

Enter password "0089"
1) Select thermocouple type "Inty": K, J, Pt-100...
2) PvL = 0
3) PvH = 3000
4) Dot = 0 (can be 1 if Inty=PT-100)
5) ModL: SV
(S-Sv= Time domain in second, M-SV=Time domain in minutes)
(S-PV = Temperature base in seconds, M-PV= Temp domain in minutes

6) Corf = F (Fahrenheit)
7) End

Example: Assuming you want the Alarm1 On when temperature exceed the AL1 (80'F) and Off if 2'F degree bleow it.

Enter password "0001" by press the 'Set' button
Set AL1 = 80
End

Enter password "0036" to set alarm
AL1y: 01 (over limit alarm)
AL1C = 2 (alarm off if PV is 2 degree below the AL1)
End

Assuming room temperature is 72'F. Now, if you hold the thermocouple and you should see that the PV is going up. Once it hit 80'F, the AL1 should light up. When you let go your hand, the temperature will drop but the AL1 still On. It should be off when PV is below 78'F

Try it
tomocar

Post by tomocar »

Thanks Marco!

I'll have fun experimenting with it. I think by your example I can figure out a bunch of stuff.

-Tom
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

When you try it with a SSR, if you're using SV mode, make sure that the PID output (oAty) set to "3~100". Default is 0-20mA and it will make the SSR full time ON regardless of the status of PV and SV.

The "oAty" is a period of 3-100 seconds and the rate of change is dependent on the differential of SV and PV (delta temp)

Example: oAty = 5, SV=100, PV=80
What you will see is that within 5 second period, you will see 'OUT' periodically On and Off. Possible On for 3 seconds and Off for 2 seconds. Now if I change the SV to 200 (delta T increase), it may be On for 4s and Off for 1s or, it may light up full time (full power).

If every setting is the same except that OAty= 20. It means that the period is 20seconds instead of 5 seconds. It means the timeline is longer and you may get more On or Off. For some heating process, it may need 'settle' time to cool off before heating up again. Then you increase timeline for that purpose. For instance, it could be On for 2 seconds and off for 18seconds when PV closed to the SV. On the other hand, if delta T is large, then the On could be taking 18seconds and Off 2seconds.

It took me hrs to understand how to configure this JLD634 by chatting a tech in China. It's such a powerful PID controller and you will love it once you master it

;)

Return to “Temperature Controller”