DIY sous vide question

jbocker34

DIY sous vide question

Post by jbocker34 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what I need for a DIY sous vide project, but using an existing rice cooker for heating. Looking at the popsci article, they suggest auberins for a "plug and play" version (http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... x&cPath=13) but it seems pretty expensive compared to what can be bought from lightobject. Am i missing something? the PID, the thermocouple and the relay are what seem to be needed when using a rice cooker or crock pot and that all seems to be within a $50 price range total (the only complete-project DIY instructions I've found are done by creating your own heat source/tub which I already have in a rice cooker!)
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there something else I'm missing?

thanks for the help...
richiem

Re: DIY sous vide question

Post by richiem »

You've covered it. The only important question is where to put the thermocouple, and in a small vessel like a crock-pot or rice cooker, it won't matter very much. I'm not familiar at all with how the pros do it, but I would perhaps put the t-couple in an unbreakable closed-end tube (stainless steel?) and seal the open end around the cable with silicone/RTV to waterproof it, then make sure the cable itself doesn't go in the water. Someone clever could probably make a hole through the cooking vessel's wall or bottom and seal the t-couple in it in such a way that there are no leaks, which would be even better...
jlaw

Post by jlaw »

clarification here - the ETC-PT100WP2M sold here is fully submersible, right?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes

Marco

Return to “Temperature Controller”