JLD612 110V Relay Output

jgsharp

JLD612 110V Relay Output

Post by jgsharp »

I'm trying to use the JLD612 PID controller to operate a 110V relay coil in a contactor that is connected to a large water circulation heater. Based on the manual, I set the output method to '1' so that it would use J2 for the relay output. I noticed that the manual says that in that mode, the SV, AH2, and AL2 are not used. If that is the case, how do I set the target temperature when the output method is set to '1'?

AH1 = 48 C
AL1 = 85 C

Thanks,
Josh
Tech_Marco

Re: JLD612 110V Relay Output

Post by Tech_Marco »

AH and AL is intended to be used as targeting the preferred temperature but the "SV"
AH= Latched point
AL= Release point
SV= Target temperature
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

I see. Then in my case, shouldn't the 110V output be energized in this situation:

SV = 75
PV = 25
AH = 10
AL = 85
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Remember, there will not be ANY voltage output from the relay, unless you appy voltage to the contact pins (COM and N.O.). Plus, in your case, you reverse the AH and AL, the relay seems always "latched" as AH=10 and your PV is 20. Once Temp over 10' (AH meet), then the relay should click and LED light should be lit on, isn't it?

*** There is a an error from my post above:***
In order for the SSR or the relay to activate, the Temp must reach SV which is 75 or above.
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

Unfortunately, the LED light does not come on. I have a thermocouple connected reading the ambient temperature [20 C] through the thermocouple connection, and the PID controller is connected to 110V power. Based on the programmed parameters mentioned before, shouldn't the relay output be reading 110V with a multimeter?

Thanks.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

There is NO voltage output from the relay unless you apply it to. Please review how a relay work as it seems that you have no experience how a relay function. I did post a link on the forum showing the basic connection diagram of a relay.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=316&p=830&hilit=re ... ction#p830
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

Understood. I'm not even looking at the contactor relay yet. What I'm saying is that, with the parameters I've mentioned, the PID controller should be attempting to energize the contactor coil, which means that the PID controller output terminals should read 110V, regardless of whether they are connected properly to the contactor coil, correct?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

No! You don't read my message and you don't even look at the relay diagram. If so, sorry I'm going to spend more time here. One more TIME, there is no 110V happen to the terminals of the controller because it's just a RELAY (On and Off)!!
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

I read your reply and looked at the diagram. I understand how a relay works. I appreciate your time helping me with this but I think I've been doing a poor job explaining my problem. I'll try to clarify my specific question here.

The PID controller is meant to open and close the gate of a solid state relay, based on the process and set values of the PID controller. Terminals 6 and 7 are designated for 'SSR Output'. That part works.

However, in the documentation, it says this as well: "Dual output: SSR(8V, 40mA), Relay(3A 120V AC)"

Isn't this saying that I should be able to output 120V from the PID controller?

Thanks.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

When you take the 612 on hand, how small is it? When you look at the contractor of your oven, how big is that? So, if the relay inside of the 612 can hanle 30A, or 100A, why need an external relay? Isn't a device should lable the current handling? If I don't put down 3A, 120V (the relay capacity), don't you think that people will use it to drive a 3000Watt, or 50000Watt, or even bigger heater. I tell you the true, even though I menton 3A@120V, there are many people out there use it to drive a heater of 1500W or even higher power directly by the relay and end up burning!
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

I'm not trying to power my heater with the PID controller. The PID controller is measuring ambient temperature, and the control output from the PID controller is connected to an external contactor that has a coil voltage of 110V. That means that, based on the specifications of the PID controller, the contactor should allow current flow whenever the PID controller energizes the 110V coil of the contactor. The current that is allowed to flow through the contactor will power the heater that I am using. Why am I not getting the 120V output that the specifications say I should get from the PID controller?

I verified the coil current requirements on the contactor. It only draws about 0.1 Amps, so the 120V, 3A output of the PID controller should be more than adequate to force the contact shut and allow current to flow to my heater. But terminals 13 and 14 on the PID controller (J2), never energizes, when it should be the "Relay PID", as the sticker on the back of the controller states.
richiem

Post by richiem »

The external relay -- the contactor -- has a coil for the input of a control voltage. If that coil needs 110V AC applied to close the relay power connection to the heater, then that 110V has to come from the PID controller via its internal relay -- which is NOT the SSR connection. That PID internal relay needs to have its common C connection tied to the 110V source, with its normally open NO connection tied to the external relay coil. No internal voltage from the PID goes to the input or output connections of its internal 3Amp relay. You need to supply that connection from the line source. I hope this is clear. If not, PM me and I will make a diagram for you.
tomtom

Post by tomtom »

Terminals 13 and 14 of the JLD612 will never "energize" - they are electrically isolated from the electronics of the controller. Consider it just a switch, controlled by the PID. It's up to you to route power through that switch, just don't exceed 220v or 3A.

So, for example if you have a power relay with a 110/120V coil, connect terminal 13 to the hot lead of your 120V power source. Connect terminal 14 to one of your relay coil contacts, then connect the other relay coil contact to the neutral lead of your power source. So now you have a low current circuit that allows the PID to turn your relay on and off.

Your heater's power would need to be routed through the output contacts of your power relay.

Make sense?
jgsharp

Post by jgsharp »

Outstanding! Crystal clear. Thanks!

It works. Fantastic!

Return to “Temperature Controller”