EEEE after installing in project enclosure

websta

EEEE after installing in project enclosure

Post by websta »

My setup worked "on the bench" but after installing it in a project enclosure, I'm getting the infamous EEEE error. I triple checked the TC connections (red - terminal 8, blues - terminals 9 & 10). I also checked the TC setting on the PID - PT100 as it should be. Based on what I read here, the only other thing it could be is a defective TC so I ordered another last night.

Since it bugged me so much, I removed the heat shrink from the TC and then removed the probe assembly from the cover. I checked continuity between the spade lugs and the wire just before it entered the probe. I assume a TC can malfunction and still have continuity so it wasn't a thorough test but at least it was something. So far I can't find anything wrong with the TC but can't get rid of the EEEE.

The drawing attached is how I have things hooked up. Again, bench tests went very well (had it running all day yesterday).

Won't be a happy camper if I install the new TC and still get the EEEE.
Attachments
sous vide set up.jpg
Tech_Marco

Re: EEEE after installing in project enclosure

Post by Tech_Marco »

Pay attention to the "ground" on the pt-100. It could be the problem. The probe need to be isolated. (I have requested new probe with isolation to the cable from next shipment, cost me more!)
websta

Post by websta »

Thanks Tech Marco - I updated the drawing to include ground. The switch needs a ground in order for the lights to work (red off, green on).

So check continuity between the probe wires and ground (mesh shielding)? Could have a short from one of the wires to ground? TC is Lightobject ETC-CB-PT2M. Found detailed info on the JLD612 but couldn't find info (wiring details) on the TC.

Thanks again.
Attachments
sous vide set up.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

After the installation on the enclosure, try take the pt-100 thermmoresistor out from the enclosure and test it again (without the pt-100 touching the enclosure) see if it solve the problem. The reason you got EEE.E is either lose connection or the #9 or #10 got short out. I have a customer who was doing same thing like what you're doing, setting up a PID is his camper and having similar problem. He finally got it solved isolated the thermocouple from the metal enclosure, it works fine afterward.

I think you may search his post from here.
websta

Post by websta »

Ok, now I understand. My enclosure is plastic so that can't be the problem. Everything seemed pretty tight last night when I was working on it but I'll check things again tonight.

Thanks again for the fast replies!
websta

Post by websta »

Received new TC and installed - everything is cool now. Don't know what happened to the first TC but at least I'm back up and running.

Cheers
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Great!!

Return to “Temperature Controller”