PT-100 submerged in water?

websta

PT-100 submerged in water?

Post by websta »

Can the PT-100 thermocouple (SKU ETC-CB-PT2M) be submerged in water? If not, has anyone come up with an appropriate protection scheme (e.g. silicon tubing)? Looking to make a homemade sous vide machine utilizing a crock pot.

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Re: PT-100 submerged in water?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Only this type of thermocuple is water proof. The one with fhread isn't

http://www.lightobject.com/10ft-3M-J-ty ... -P492.aspx
websta

Post by websta »

Thank you very much for the reply - guess I should have asked before ordering the PT-100.

Cheers
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Well, the J, K, and Pt-100 are totally different. Both J and K works for 1 degree resolution but the Pt-100 support "0.1 degree" resolution. If you need something to measure precise temperature, pt-100 is the only choice

;)
websta

Post by websta »

The serious sous vide chefs use equipment with very tight tolerances so I kinda got sucked into the .1 degree spec. I tried an experiment with a plain old crock pot and a good digital meat thermometer. Even though the temp fluctuated a few degrees, the ribeye turned out great so I think the other thermocouples are fine. I jumped the gun a bit and should have done the experiment before ordering.

Thanks for the help.
kbar

Post by kbar »

Just to clarify, I planned on using an instrumentation compression fitting that would 'bite' the sheath of the PT100. This would then be threaded into (fitting and PT100 tip for about 20mm) another larger fitting to control the mash temperature on a RIMS system in a home brewery. Can the tip of the PT100 be submerged in a potable fluid? Thanks!
kbar

Post by kbar »

Also, what is the diameter of the probe end? Thanks!

Return to “Temperature Controller”