JLD612 Amperage Draw

seanjager

JLD612 Amperage Draw

Post by seanjager »

I am using the JLD612 controller with an external SSR to operate a small (75W) water heater. The heating system now needs to operate in Europe, but using a power converter(240 to 120VAC) is not working. When testing it in North America (120VAC to 120VAC), the over-current protection in the power converter (rated 200W) trips when the controller is plugged in. The controller wont power on when plugged into the converter. The heater cartridge, when hooked up individually, can run fine on the converter. I believe the power consumption of the JLD612 is around 2W, so what is going on here? The controller works when it is plugged into a 750W transformer, but it is really heavy and seems way overkill.

Components:
- JLD612 (controller)
- ESSR-25DAC (SSR)
- Power Converter (http://www.bestekcorp.com/product/power ... -plug.html)

I want the system to run off of one plug, and the cartridge is only rated for 120VAC. A future redesign may add in a transformer just for the cartridge, but I am curious as to why this solution isn't working (200W converter). I attached a quick sketch of the current set up (the 120VAC to wall is connected to the converter).

Cheers,
-JR
Attachments
Wiring for heater.png
Last edited by seanjager on Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
laserdude

Re: JLD612 Amperage Draw

Post by laserdude »

Check the output of the converter. Perhaps it is generating a square wave instead of a sine wave. Are you certain it is rated at 200 W?
seanjager

Re: JLD612 Amperage Draw

Post by seanjager »

It says directly on the converter and in the manual that it's rated for 200W (and it worked with a 170W heater cartridge), so I think it's not the rating. I will check out the square vs sine wave, but the converter just got sent out to Europe again.

Return to “Temperature Controller”