temperature controller for cells incubator

areiasfi

temperature controller for cells incubator

Post by areiasfi »

Hi,

I am planing to build my own incubator for biological cell culturing and I was wondering if I could use the JLD612 for the control. For the incubator I need to have a few ml bath at 37 C.
I have now in the lab as temperature sensors the TH10K and TH100PT, and as heater element I have the HT24S, all from Thorlabs (http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9.cf ... HT24S#7056).

Can you tell me if my sensors and heater are compatible with the JLD612, and what else would I need to use to build my small bath heater?

I thank you in advance for your help!
Best regards,
Edite
richiem

Re: temperature controller for cells incubator

Post by richiem »

This isn't a complete answer -- you'll have to be handy with making stuff. I would use the TH100PT sensor -- you'll need to solder on an extra wire to one lead to use with the JLD612 as a Pt100 type sensor. Other things possibly needed -- a circulation pump to keep water/bath-liquid moving over the heater, sensor, and item heated; a DC power supply with sufficient voltage and current to operate the heater element; a DC/DC solid state relay to control the power from the DC supply to the heater (operated by the JLD612); plumbing parts; and stuff... The JLD612 will provide heat control as fine as 0.1°C if you can control the environmental factors such as ambient temp, loss paths, etc. Good luck.
areiasfi

Post by areiasfi »

Thank you for your tips! Yes I am also planing the pump with lego motors and controls. I do not understand how the DC/DC solid state relay works. I connect in the relay the PID controller and in the other side the DC power supply and the heater?
richiem

Post by richiem »

Yep -- that's about it. Everything on the power side is in series, and watch polarities very carefully (except the resistance heater -- it doesn't care). The controller has the DC output that drives the relay's control input, and again polarity is critical. Hope this helps.

Return to “Temperature Controller”