TET-612, Can I wire it to control two devices?

Pyrofish

TET-612, Can I wire it to control two devices?

Post by Pyrofish »

I originally bought this controller to use in a sous vide and an electric smoker set-up. Now I find out that one of my new interests, beer brewing can make use of a controller as well. I figured out how to wire it for the original on/off of one device, but is there a way to wire it a second device.

The specific application is a freezer with a heating pad. The combination of elements should keep the bottled beer at about 67F.

If not, no big deal, I'll buy something else, but it would be nice to have just one that does it all. More bang for the buck and all.

On that topic, what do the J's control? (3, 4, 5, 13, 14), and what about 11, 12? Like I said, I figured out the rest (pretty simple with the down-loadable manual).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Jason
rickst29

Re: TET-612, Can I wire it to control two devices?

Post by rickst29 »

Two SSRs/two devices, YES.
But your application, NO, because you want to run both heat and cold. Your heater application turns on at low termperature, when the freezer has already turned off. A single PID can only run two SSRs which will be switched together (both "on" or both "off", and using the same temperature setpoints.)

I know of a person who has run two SSRs from the 7100 controller. Our application to to drive both a DC-12V SSR and an AC120V SSR, but any combination of two SSRs should be OK. (Our usage is a Refrigerator in an RV, which can run on AC or DC... it needs better temperature control both ways.) , But the are switched together -- both come "on" at about 40F, and both turn "off" at about 34F, together. (Only one of the SSRs has a full circuit connected through the load terminals, because there's an external switch to choose AC or DC operation. The other one probably does switch "on", but there's still no current.)

I think that you need two controllers, because the PID programming rules (i.e., temperature settings) which you will want to use will be different for the freezer and heater SSRs. But I'm only a customer like you, not an expert....

Return to “Temperature Controller”