jld612 question - bad controller, bad relays or bad config?

icfire

jld612 question - bad controller, bad relays or bad config?

Post by icfire »

I have successfully powered the unit (via 120VAC) and get steady temperature readings from a pt100 probe.

I'm trying to use a mechanical relay but can't seem to get it to work. I tried a 9VDC 12A relay wired to terminals 6/7 on the jld612 (labeled SSR output), and (with OUT lit on the front of the unit) the relay doesn't provide a charge to the coils to close the circuit. I've tested the relay with a 9V battery, and everything works as intended. I've also used a multimeter on the jld612, and it shows an output of about 9.18VDC from terminals 6/7.

Thinking the 9V needed to charge the coils might be too high for the jld612, I then tried a 5VDC 12A relay but saw the same results as above. Again, the 9V battery showed that the relay was wired correctly.

Not sure what the issue might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Josh
Tech_Marco

Re: jld612 question - bad controller, bad relays or bad config?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Already email you. I think you need to study a little bit Relay and how this controller work. The Relay is powered by the controller, so why would you apply 9V to it? By the way, there is no way to apply external power to the relay. You can use the N.C. , N.O. and COM contacts, but there is no pins for the relay coil.
icfire

Post by icfire »

I'm sorry, maybe my explanation wasn't clear in my original post - I'm obviously not too proficient with electronics, but I think I understand how the relay functions and have read through the controller manual several times, though it isn't terribly detailed when talking about relays.

What I was trying to explain is that when i connect terminals 6/7 on the controller to the relay, the system doesn't work as I suspect it should. A multimeter shows ~9.2VDC coming from terminals 6/7 without the relay wired in, but when wired to a 5VDC relay, the relay isn't completing the circuit like it should.

I only used the 9V battery as an independent test to see if I had wired the relay correctly or to see if the relay was broken - I did not use the battery in conjunction with the controller. When I did use the battery, i could hear the audible 'click' in the relay, and it functioned as I wanted.

I'm not clear on what you mean by this statement - "You can use the N.C. , N.O. and COM contacts, but there is no pins for the relay coil."

There are 5 pins on my SPDT (1 Form C) relay - one for NO, one for NC, one for COM, and two for the coils..I want to apply a charge to the coils (coming from terminals 6/7 on the controller) so that the circuit on the relay is completed (when the OUT is lit on the controller) and 120VAC power flows through NC and COM.

Also, I checked my email and haven't received anything.

Thanks for the help.
icfire

Post by icfire »

quick update - i had ordered an SSR hoping that might help. It does - the SSR works.

I'm still not clear why the mechanical relay didn't work, but I am happy that the SSR does..
jawjatek

Post by jawjatek »

The relay outputs are just switch contacts from the INTERNAL relay of the controller. Normally open (NO), normally closed (NC), and common (C). In my case (small 120V AC heater load), I connect the NO terminal to 120V AC HOT, the C to the HOT going to the heater. That way the controller relay directly turns the juice on and off to the heater as control effort requires (OK for small heaters under 3A). Also, you cant really use the SSR outputs to control an electromechanical relay either. Google "Digital Temp controller wiring" and you will find some PDF manuals of other brands with example wiring diagrams - no matter, they all work the same. HTH YMMV

Return to “Temperature Controller”