JLD612 Temperature Controller to control a large oven

scarecrowtim

JLD612 Temperature Controller to control a large oven

Post by scarecrowtim »

Hello,

I just hooked up a JDL612 controller to control the temperature of a large oven that we use to dry back soil and heat up asphalt for testing. It worked for a few min but the electrical contactor was buzzing a little. I believe that it is set up correctly but now even though the "OUT" light is lit the heating element does not get hot and the electrical 2-pole 240 volt contactor does not connect to establish power through the switch and to the heating element. Do I have a bad contactor or a bad temperature controller. I see little reference to using the 2-pole 240 volt contactor and only reference to solid state relays but have seen a lot of stories about them getting hot and burning up. Will this temperature controller power a contactor or is it limited to SSR? I am kind of new to this but would like to make it work.

Thanks
Lutz

Re: JLD612 Temperature Controller to control a large oven

Post by Lutz »

How did you hook up the contactor with the controller?
Hard to say without knowing how it's set up...
richiem

Re: JLD612 Temperature Controller to control a large oven

Post by richiem »

Relays and contactors will not work correctly when the 612 is set for use with an SSR for PID (duty-cycle) control for electrical heaters or for gas heaters. It will work if connected as a simple thermostat that just provides an on or off signal with lots of hysteresis, say 5 or 10 degrees.

Proportional control can only work with an SSR as the primary power switch to an electrical (resistive) heat source. Proportional control depends on rapid switching of the controling relay and the heater element. This means electromechanical relays and gas heaters are out for use with these JLD612 controllers.

Return to “Temperature Controller”