Jld 612 not getting to set temperature.

bradpashuta

Jld 612 not getting to set temperature.

Post by bradpashuta »

Hello.
I'm building a smoker from an old refrigerator. I'm using a jld 612 pid, a 25 amp ssr, a pt 100 k type trermocoupler, and was using a 2 burner hotplate, but just switched it out for an oven heating element. No matter what I try, I cannot get the temp. above about 100f, when I have the set temp at 220. I have tried everything. I'm on my second thermocouple, second heating element, multiple wiring configurations on the pt100, and all kinds of settings changes. I'm just about ready to take my 12 ga. shotgun to it. HELP!!!!!!! :evil:
Tech_Marco

Re: Jld 612 not getting to set temperature.

Post by Tech_Marco »

What is the heating element power and what do you want to do with it? To what temperature do you want to reach? Is the SSR light keep lightning or off? If it is ON all time, it means that the heating element is not powerful enough to sustain the heat lost

Post your setting here to let us to review it

You may need to have the controller completed a "Closed loop" Auto Tune procedure to obtain "P","I","D" data
It may take hrs or over 24hrs to complete a auto-tune cycle.

Marco
bradpashuta

Post by bradpashuta »

I really don't know the heating element power....I bought it "out of box", so to speak, today. When I first started this venture, it was with dual range top heating elements, straight power to the coils. It got to almost 400f. When I introduced the pid setup, the most I could get was 105f, but usually not more than around 90f. I have tried multiple times to autotune, a few times overnight, although I don't think ever as long as 24 hours.
Like I said this is for an electric smoker, so I need it to hold a very constant temperature. I usually smoke at 220f, but could be as low as 140f or as high as 300f, depending on what i'm doing.

inty-backwards 4
outy-2
hy-0.3
psd-0
rd-0
corf-1

sv-220
ah and al 1 and 2- tried various things, but I was under the impression that these weren't used when the outy is 2.

Here's hoping you can straighten me out!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Try use drive the SSR On by applying DC6~12V direct to the SSR "Input" without the controller attached. It will power the heating element in full current and you can check if the problem is the SSR or the controller. If it reach 400'F or so, the problem is on the controller. If not, you may have a faulty SSR

Marco
richiem

Post by richiem »

I noticed that you said that you have a "Pt100 k type thermocouple>" Not possible -- it is either a Pt100 OR a K type but not both. If you have a Pt100 and use the K type setting, or vice-versa, then nothing will work correctly. Check the temp sensor you are using and then set the JLD612 for the type of sensor you have. If that helps, great. If it doesn't then something else is going on.

Return to “Temperature Controller”