Achieving 0.1 degF accuracy with a j-type?

funperro

Achieving 0.1 degF accuracy with a j-type?

Post by funperro »

I've just wired up my JLD612 to an SSR and am now attempting to set it up through its menu system. I've selected J for IntY as I have a j-type thermocouple. How do I get 0.1degF accuracy rather than the 1.0 degF accuracy it is currently set to? I have set the CorF to 1 for fahrenheit. Also, I don't understand what outY option I need (I am currently using the default setting of 2). I've attached the wiring diagram that I've used if that helps answer my questions. The diagram is a little misleading as it shows a 3-wire thermoresistor in the setup but I am actually using a 2 wire J-type thermocouple.

Finally, how do I 'calibrate' the PID? When I check the temperature boil water, the display reads 204 (I live in Denver, water boils at 202.2 here) and in an ice bath it reads 35. Looks like I'm reading about 2 or 3 degF too high.

Any help is appreciated!

UPDATE: I think I figured out the temperature 'calibration' here in the manual. I'll try tonight when I get home. As for the 0.1 accuracy.... am I going to need a PT100 thermoresistor rather than the j-type thermocouple I currently have? Reading about the two types, it looks like PT100's are more accurate than type j's.... but maybe I'm wrong here. Any insight would be appreciated....
Attachments
wiring.jpg
richiem

Re: Achieving 0.1 degF accuracy with a j-type?

Post by richiem »

The 0.1 deg option is only available with Pt100 RTDs.

As you have probably discovered, you can offset the temp reading to be essentially correct.
funperro

Re: Achieving 0.1 degF accuracy with a j-type?

Post by funperro »

richiem wrote:The 0.1 deg option is only available with Pt100 RTDs.

As you have probably discovered, you can offset the temp reading to be essentially correct.
Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll buy a PT100 asap. The PID is working great!

Return to “Temperature Controller”