Will this setup work?

db@100

Will this setup work?

Post by db@100 »

I am building an electric smoker. I would like to know if this setup will work. I am planning on using:
1- ETC-JLD612-A to control the temperature. The temp will range from 125F to 350F depending on what is being smoked.
1- ETC-CB-KIM probe (will the smoke affect the sensor?)
1- SSR ESSR-25DAC. My heat source pulls 5 amps at 120v.(is this the correct SSR for the PID above?)
1- Heatsink EHS-SSR 25A

In the future I would like to add another controller that will sence the internal temperature of the meat and cut off the heat source when the product reaches a set temperature. Can this be done with the same setup as above? Will the meat affect the probe or should I use a different type of probe?
richiem

Re: Will this setup work?

Post by richiem »

Honestly, I don't know what the probe and SSR are -- the part numbers mean nothing to me -- maybe they mean something to others. I do know about the JLD612. So if you can supply more detailed info about the probe and SSR, then maybe suggestions can be made.
db@100

Post by db@100 »

This is the SSR...Key Features of the 25A SSR

•No mechanical movement so it lasts longer
•No signal noise
•Easy to use. Ideal for Temperature Controller, Heater, small oven, Furnace, and Kiln
•Good for small appliance
Specification
•Input: 3V-32V DC
•Control: 24V~380V AC
•Current: 25A

•Size (LxWxH): 63mm x 46mm x 26mm

and this is the probe.......This is a 1M(3.3ft) K type thermocouple cable for temperature control, and it supports up to 450'C.
richiem

Post by richiem »

OK, the SSR will work fine with the JLD612. The K type thermocouple will work fine too, and should not be affected by smoke.

When you decide to add a sensor for meat temp, a second JLD612, probe and SSR will do the job. The second SSR's AC connection will just be in series with the first SSR, so that when meat temp reaches a set value, the heater will shut off, and when the ambient reaches its set temp, the heater will shut off. I recommend that you use a meat probe that is in a stainless steel sheath for corrosion resistance.

Good luck.
db@100

Post by db@100 »

Thanks for the replys. I thought I was using the correct items but I just wanted to be sure.
db@100

Post by db@100 »

I do have another question. After I have set my temperatures the first time, if I loose power, will I also loose my setting or will they be saved?
richiem

Post by richiem »

All settings are saved through power outages -- no need to reset.
db@100

Post by db@100 »

Just what I wanted to hear, Thanks

Return to “Temperature Controller”