How to wire the Waterproof PT100 RTD Thermocouple to my PID

averagejoe

How to wire the Waterproof PT100 RTD Thermocouple to my PID

Post by averagejoe »

Hey guys, I have read the forum looking for help, and I am a bit of a noob. I could use some help wiring my thermocupler and pid / ssr. Everything I am trying doesn't seem to work.

I have a pt 100 thermocouple
http://www.lightobject.com/Water-resist ... -P592.aspx

I had a mypin TD4 PID that was given to me.
http://www.mypinchina.com/uploadfiles/2 ... 316698.pdf

I also have the SSR.
http://www.lightobject.com/25A-Solid-St ... -P314.aspx

1. This thermocouple has two green wires and one red wire. The end connects on the red wire is red, the end connect on the green wires are blue. I connected the blue connectors to terminals 7 & 8, then the red connector to terminal 9 on my pid.
2. I cut a computer power supply cord into sections, and ran the wire from the male plug outlet - black wire to terminal 1, and white wire to terminal 2. on my pid
3. I used a 6 inch section of the power supply cord, and ran a white wire from terminal 3 on my pid to terminal 4 on my ssr.
4. I did the same as in step 3, except used a black wire from terminal 4 on my pid to terminal 3 on my ssr.
5. last, i connected a power cord female connector to my SSR. White wire to terminal 1 on my ssr, and black wire to terminal 2 on my ssr. However, I have never received power from this plug. It is not hot when the SSR light is on.

I believe this is a PT 100, so when I program my PID - on inty, i set the value to pt, but the reading is like -400 F. If i set the inty value to y, the reading is like 80 degrees F. At room temp and my room temp is 70. If i drop the thermocoupler into a glass of ice water, it drops to 79.2 when the inty value is y...

Could use some help from you guys.
richiem

Re: How to wire the Waterproof PT100 RTD Thermocouple to my

Post by richiem »

The Pt100 is a resistance temperature detector, or RTD. Its red connector goes to terminal 7. The blue connectors go to terminal 8 and 9 -- doesn't matter which goes to which.

Terminal 3 on the controller goes to terminal 3 on the SSR -- plus to plus
Terminal 4 on the controller goes to terminal 4 on the SSR -- minus to minus

AC from the wall goes to Controller terminals 1 and 2 -- color is unimportant.

AC from one side of the wall plug -- call it black -- goes to SSR terminal 1
SSR terminal 2 connects to one terminal on the heater
The other terminal of the heater connects to the other side of the wall outlet -- call it white.

In order to use the SSR, the part number of the controller MUST have a "2" as the next to last number -- this is a model with a 0-10VDC output, which is what the SSR needs to have.

Hope this helps.
averagejoe

Re: How to wire the Waterproof PT100 RTD Thermocouple to my

Post by averagejoe »

Thank you so much. I finally got it wired! The output is a plug so that I can plug in various heating elements (slow cooker, roaster, etc)

Any tips on how to program the PID, I have it programed as a PT controller... Any other tips?

One thing I notice now is that the light on the SSR flashes quite a bit around the desired temperature. Is there a way to change this? I am just concerned that the power kicking on and off for 1 second thousands of times in an hour will not be good for my roaster.

Return to “Temperature Controller”