JLD612 spazzes

fatguypoolshark

JLD612 spazzes

Post by fatguypoolshark »

So, got a pair of JLD612 using http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Sensor-Temp ... mico+PT100 and bucket heaters for heating.

So, sometimes, the temperature just oscillates like crazy. Talking like 3-5 degrees C in a few seconds. Other times its fine, until it hits the "set temperature" then it does the same thing. It does this on both controllers, and i have tried THREE different termperature probes. i assume at this point its a setting on the JLD or a miswire of some kind. Any help would be appreciated, as this has been the most frustrating project I have ever had :/. Ordered two 109 GPH food grade pumps from LO and one burned out pushing 138F water for under a hour :( Just running so bad.

Thanks in advance.
richiem

Re: JLD612 spazzes

Post by richiem »

Don't neglect the possibility that these JLD612s are defective -- there have been many experiences of instability like these reported here in the past. And the display instability may be annoying, but is the actual temperature of the water being affected? The controller part may be fine and just the temp sensor display part may be acting up....

As to the pump failure, email or PM Tech_Marco here at LO.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you insert the probe all the way in water? If so, it's the problem as those probe is NOT water-sealed. Even our stainles steel can't be sumbersed the whole probe in wahter.
Do you have other probe from other seller for testing. Use "K" type for testing if you can. There are a lot of PT100 in the market and the quality is question. It took us long to get good quality PT100 from China (not a easy task as so many fake things there).

Regarding the water pump, what kind of power supply did you use? Is it regulated to DC12V? Or, is it under current? Make sure you have 1A or higher current for the pump to work properly. In some case, the spindle may be blocked by obsticle and you may use a stick to give it a push may start it again.

You can request a RMA# return for testing. If it's doa, we will ship you a new one. You may request our staff for preliminary testing before shipping

Marco
fatguypoolshark

Assuming they did get inserted in water, which is possible, it wasnt intentional if it happened. But assuming it did happen, are they like a lot of simple electronics and once dried out, they should work fine again potentially, Will try that as a beginning place.

What is the difference between K and PT100 really? are they both "ok" for Sous Vide safety reasons?

As for the pump, will double check with a voltage meter, however the second pump I bought has been running on the exact same power supply(literally cut if off the 1st one) for about 6 hours now no problems.
fatguypoolshark

Ok, so a little more testing, and this is where I ended up. Anytime the relay is activate by the PID, the temperature reads stable. As soon as it hits the safe temp, or the relay turns the power to the heaters off, it goes nuts. Thoughts?
richiem

Post by richiem »

Smells like AC current leakage. Trouble-shooting by remote control is really hard.
The control relay is an SSR? Or mechanical contact type?
Heaters are 120V?
Gauge and kind of wiring?
fatguypoolshark

Yeah the control relay was SSR... then it locked to "on" and melted a little and almost boiled all the water out of my setup :/ Running incredibly bad on this project :P.

So setup my backup sous vide system on it. Same problem though not quite as wild gyrations.

Heaters are 120V

16 Gauge wiring for most of it, though the power cord coming in is a lot higher(thinking 10 or 8), the setup is basically this guys setup http://www.lesmarmitonsnj.com/sous-vide-cooker.pdf

Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Temperature Controller”