Pump question for homebrew setup

vsaks

Pump question for homebrew setup

Post by vsaks »

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I didn't see a product discussion forum for pumps, so posting here.
Administrator/Moderator please feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum.

I am looking for more information on some of the pumps, specifically if they are NSF rated to be safe for contact with food and beverages. I noticed that the tiny pump EWP-2502HT is FDA rated, but didn't see anything for other pumps.

I brew 5 gallon batches of beer so don't need a high volume/capacity pump. The EWP-2502HT might fit the bill, but need to know if it'll pump liquid up 3 feet. Can you throttle the output using a ball valve to restrict flow ?

The other pump I am interested in is the self priming diaphragm pump EWP-FL2202A

For both of these pumps, What are the materials used which come in contact with the fluid being pumped
- Material for diaphragm
- Material for valves
- Material for other housing in contact with the fluid being pumped

I am okay using the bigger pumps rated at 100 degrees EWP-D50C124030L , EWP-D50C2465, EWP-DC50B24130 if they are okay being run at a trickle (when recirculating hot mash wort) and are food safe.
richiem

Re: Pump question for homebrew setup

Post by richiem »

Hi vsaks -- apparently nobody knows if the pumps are food safe or not. Try contacting Tech_Marco directly via email -- I've found him to be very responsive.
vsaks

Post by vsaks »

richiem, thanks for the suggestion. I have sent him an email.
richiem wrote:Hi vsaks -- apparently nobody knows if the pumps are food safe or not. Try contacting Tech_Marco directly via email -- I've found him to be very responsive.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello vsaks:

I just received two new pumps; 1.8L (29GPH) #12V and 6.5L (100GPH) @ 12V. I think the 6.5L is what you need:
http://www.lightobject.com/High-Temp100 ... -P709.aspx

It's food grade and materails that used to make the pump is FDA certified per manufacturer. It's not submersible but it handle up to 100'C. I tried it today and flow rate was so great! It draws about 750mA which is about 10Watt power consumping overall. You may use a voltage regulator to control the speed (not PWM as starting is quite difficult for brushless pump).

Marco
vsaks

Post by vsaks »

Marco,
Thanks. That is great news. I have ordered the 6.5L pump. Would love to see if I can use it to recirculate hot wort and pump it through the heat exchanger when making beer.
Tech_Marco wrote:Hello vsaks:

I just received two new pumps; 1.8L (29GPH) #12V and 6.5L (100GPH) @ 12V. I think the 6.5L is what you need:
http://www.lightobject.com/High-Temp100 ... -P709.aspx

It's food grade and materails that used to make the pump is FDA certified per manufacturer. It's not submersible but it handle up to 100'C. I tried it today and flow rate was so great! It draws about 750mA which is about 10Watt power consumping overall. You may use a voltage regulator to control the speed (not PWM as starting is quite difficult for brushless pump).

Marco

Return to “Temperature Controller”