Which temp probe for hot oil 212-450 degrees F?

TinCook

Which temp probe for hot oil 212-450 degrees F?

Post by TinCook »

I'm getting ready to buy a jld612 with a pt100 waterproof probe for sous vide cooking.

I'd also like to use the jld612 to moniter oil temps for deep frying (300 to 450 degrees F) and sugar-water syrups for making candy (212 to 350 degrees F), but it doesn't look like the pt100 can handle that.

Which probe should be used for that? Also, is the waterproof pt00 safe to use in oil at temps of 100 to 212 degrees F?
richiem

Re: Which temp probe for hot oil 212-450 degrees F?

Post by richiem »

The waterproof Pt100 probe tip is rated to 400 degrees C, which is about 750 degrees F and is pretty doggone hot. Just make sure that only the tip is in the oil. And it is fine in oil at the temps you asked about.
TinCook

Post by TinCook »

Ah, cool!

I'm guessing I should get the threaded version and rig up some kind of float for it?

Also, I was thinking of connecting the pt100 to the jld612 via a TRS plug, rather then hard wiring it since it seems like it would be safer and easier to store. Would this cause problems in getting an accurate reading? I recall reading that the added resistence of the extra wires and such were a problem for thermocouples, but I don't have a clue if that's the case with RTD's.
richiem

Post by richiem »

A connector and extra wire length within reason are OK with RTDs; I would limit the extra wire to 10 feet. As to using a TRS plug, you'll have to float the Sleeve off of the pan or other ground, so I would opt for an XLR mic connector system with the "ground" floating off the shell of the connectors; or even use the 4-pin version of the XLR which lets you connect the shield of the Pt100 probe to the connector shell.

As to a float system for the probe, I have no recs -- good luck.
TinCook

Post by TinCook »

Just submitted my order. I'm so excited, I can't wait! Even splurged and got the 100 deg C water pump.

Return to “Temperature Controller”