JLD612 DC Parameters, and connections to run a computer fan?

fire6160

JLD612 DC Parameters, and connections to run a computer fan?

Post by fire6160 »

I am, like several other people on here, trying to control my BBQ with the JLD612 coupled with a Pt-100, and a small computer fan. Apparently it is possible to hook the fan directly to the J1 relay. The issue I'm having is that my fan is not running at all. The fan does work. Do I need to connect both positive and negative power cables to the J1 somewhere and if so specifically where does each one go, then where do I need to hook up my fan? I currently am running Outy=0, rd=0, Hy=5, Corf=1. Also when I do get this to work will I still need to auto tune or is the PID bypassed with these settings? One last idiotism would be if I want to control the temp at 220f I would set the sv to 220 then what would I need to set the others to? I realize now that I'm probably in over my head......any help for the village idiot would be appreciated!!!!
richiem

Re: JLD612 DC Parameters, and connections to run a computer

Post by richiem »

The relays in the 612 are not connected internally to any power source -- they are just passive relays. As I've mentioned in several other posts, you need an external 12VDC power supply to supply power (supply's + terminal) to one contact of J2, then connect the other contact of J2 to the + terminal/red wire of the fan. The fan - terminal/black wire goes back to the DC supply - terminal.

For this connection, use Outy = 1; see the manual. This setting will cause J2 to respond to the PID control system of the 612. This may or may not give good results; trying is the only way to find out. Set the SV to 220 and see what happens. Don't worry about other settings except for AL1 and AH1 -- the manual figure 2 seems to indicate that AH1 needs to be lower than AL1 in order for the relay to turn the fan on when the temp is too low -- I'm not sure aobut this, since I've never used the 612 in this way.

Play around have fun.
adrenalynn

Post by adrenalynn »

Are we talking 612 or 612DC? If it's a 612DC, he already has power available.
fire6160

Post by fire6160 »

I did get this to work by hooking the negative from the fan directly to the negative on the power input, then using a jumper wire to go to terminal 4 from the positive side of the incoming power, I then hooked up the positive to the fan on terminal 5. I'm still using Outy=0 I believe that will allow it to work just like a on off thermostat. The fan works in this configuration and the temp readings appear to be accurate, I'll be doing a test run with the grill on Sunday, and post the results. Would there be any benefits to hooking it up to J2 and having the PID controls active?
richiem

Post by richiem »

Right, using Outy=0 and J1 lets it work like a conventional thermostat, and that may well work best with a BBQ or smoker. I think it might be interesting, though, to try PID control and see what happens. The downside may be that autotuning will take longer than your fire will actually burn...

Return to “Temperature Controller”