PTC Temperature sensor for JLD612

Grey_Meadow

PTC Temperature sensor for JLD612

Post by Grey_Meadow »

Hello
I new here and new to PID control and temperature measuring. I hope my question are too far off base.

I have a temperature sensor identified as a PTC (1000 ohm @ 25C). Based on google / wiki research that is not a typical temperature sensor.
Question: Can the JLD612 accept this input and what settings would I need to change.
The application is a water bath hold in the range of 120F - 170F with step changes in the 20F range. (Beer brewing to be a bit more descriptive)
I would like to have tolerance in the 0.5F range, but its not real critical.

If this sensor won't work or if the JLD612 is not the correct controller, can you suggest a combination that would work.

Thanks, David
Tech_Marco

Re: PTC Temperature sensor for JLD612

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello David:

WELCOME to the forum!

In not familiar your probe but if it is pt100 then it should works fine.
If not, I will suggest this one
http://www.lightobject.com:80/Premium-S ... -P681.aspx

Marco
richiem

Re: PTC Temperature sensor for JLD612

Post by richiem »

To add to what Marco said, "PTC" usually means "positive temperature coefficient" which means that as temp increases, the resistance of the sensor increases -- but the resistance change in not linear. This is true for the platinum sensor most commonly used, the Pt100 RTD (resistance temperature detector), which has 100 ohms nominal resistance at 0 degrees C/32 degrees F.

The sensor you have will not work with the JLD612, which has compensation for the non-linearity of platinum (and copper) sensors built-in, but is only accurate for Pt100 (or Cu50)--- not for whatever the sensor you have actually is -- it could be a platinum Pt1000, but it's value at 25 C is incorrect -- it could be something else entirely.

Best to get a Pt100 sensor and the JLD612 controller -- the costs are low from Lightobject.

Return to “Temperature Controller”