Assistance with 3 axis cnc controller - Motors not energizin

JohnnyCNC

Assistance with 3 axis cnc controller - Motors not energizin

Post by JohnnyCNC »

Good morning, First, i wanted to say thank you for sending the controller out so quickly. It arrived on Saturday. I have everything hooked up, however I am not getting any response from the 3 stepper motors. I have set up mach 3 as shown on the .pdf manual for this board.

When I manually jog any axis, the LEDs on the controller will light, however the motors will not turn. I have had these motors working on a xylotex controller before switching to this one, any thoughts?

-John
JohnnyCNC

Re: Assistance with 3 axis cnc controller - Motors not energ

Post by JohnnyCNC »

Let me ask this as well, on my old controller, the steppers would "lock up" when power was applied, that is they would not allow you to turn them manually. On this controller, when powered up, the motors are still free wheeling, they can be turned by hand, shouldn't they lock?
twehr

Post by twehr »

JohnnyCNC wrote:Let me ask this as well, on my old controller, the steppers would "lock up" when power was applied, that is they would not allow you to turn them manually. On this controller, when powered up, the motors are still free wheeling, they can be turned by hand, shouldn't they lock?
If they are not locking, you have them wired incorrectly. Try swapping one wire from pair A with one wire from pair B.
JohnnyCNC

Post by JohnnyCNC »

That is what I would have thought, however i haven't done it yet, didn't want to mess anything up. I have 4 wire steppers, which came with my first kit from xylotex, with wires Red, Black, Blue, Green. I have red/blu to A+,A- and Blk/grn to B+,B-. I have verified continuity on the coils.

Is there anyway to validate that voltage is coming off of the driver, besides the motors themselves?

Thanks!
twehr

Post by twehr »

JohnnyCNC wrote:That is what I would have thought, however i haven't done it yet, didn't want to mess anything up. I have 4 wire steppers, which came with my first kit from xylotex, with wires Red, Black, Blue, Green. I have red/blu to A+,A- and Blk/grn to B+,B-. I have verified continuity on the coils.

Is there anyway to validate that voltage is coming off of the driver, besides the motors themselves?

Thanks!
Is there an Enable/Disable connection on your card (not sure what card you are using) that is/isn't connected to +/- ?
JohnnyCNC

Post by JohnnyCNC »

I am using the 3 axis 6560...:
http://www.lightobject.com/New-version- ... -P274.aspx

It shows that pin 16 is enable, i am sending that out of mach 3. I have some more experimenting to do, as I can not get the relay to fire either.

-John

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”