All About 2012 DSP

baccus61

All About 2012 DSP

Post by baccus61 »

I will place some stuff on this thread about the 2012 controller

First off is the LCD Control panel.
The menus are as follows

01 = UDisk File
02 = Params Option (Key Move Speed, Run Box Speed, Cut Box Speed, Focus Distance )
03 = Origin Manage (1,2,3,4) Four different settings can be put here. (Move to, Current position, X , Y )
04 = Origin Mode ( Key, Soft )
05 = Control Mode ( Soft, LCD )
06 = Memory Manage
07 = Axis Control (Z axis Reset, Origin) (U Axis Reset, Origin
08 = Inching Control
09 = Cut Box
10 = Network Configure
11 = Language
12 = System Version

The DSP board has an Aluminum cover over the electronics. This is a good thing as it will act as shielding but it doesn't let you see the limit switch led's when you are trying to get them set up to see if they turn on and off when hit.

At the moment I can't get the limits to work and the head won't drive away from the limit stops to reset them to off, so I use the "Soft Limits" for the time being which should be ok for a while until they get it sorted.

Here are a couple of Screen Grabs of what has changed.

As you can see there is no mention of any AIR assist or likewise. The new manual really does need to be released soon for all those poor unfortunates that have never set one of these up before. I have done it a fair bit and I still had a lot of trouble. (especially with the limits!)

I will continue to update this as I change things or get them sorted out.
Rich.
Attachments
User settings
User settings
The System Setting screen menu selection.
The System Setting screen menu selection.
System Settings.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
My settings.  The keying direction should be set to negative for the X axis as I have my machine 0,0 set to upper left.
My settings. The keying direction should be set to negative for the X axis as I have my machine 0,0 set to upper left.
System start up parameters
System start up parameters
Last edited by baccus61 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
baccus61

Re: All About 2012 DSP

Post by baccus61 »

I have just done some more checking.

FYI, The DSP is now 24 volt so you will need to upgrade to a 24 volt power supply. I just bought a cheap 1.5 Amp Switchmode power supply that works quite well, for $26.

When I press the "Reset" button on the LCD panel, the laser turns on for as long as I hold down the key. It shouldn't do this. That's dangerous! Then the head goes off and slams continuously into the stops until the soft limits are reached. (I guess that's what happens) If I select the Hardware Limits check box then I can't process a file as the "Trigger Limit" is activated and the head won't move. I haven't tried swapping my stepper motor wires around yet to see if this will make a difference and then swapping all the software driver settings around. It certainly does seem like everything is backwards with the limits. I have had a lot of trouble setting these up before so I may be doing something stupid and not knowing about it but I have tried all the settings I can think of except changing the motor wires.

The only output terminal I can find that turns on with the running of a file is terminal #1 on 2.OUT but the lowest voltage it has is 7.5V which is 2-3 volts above my Opto-relay switching voltage so it will be on all the time and not turn off at the end of processing. I will have to look around for a 12 volt minimum switching one and see if that works.

Once today I pressed the "LASER" button on the LCD panel and the laser turned on and stayed on even after I let go of the button. It also did this from the software screen. It's like it has a latching relay on it sometimes. It has only done this 3 times so it's an intermittent fault.

Is there a minimum setting for the speed? I can't seem to find it anywhere and I have set it way down to 1mm/sec but it still goes at about 20mm/sec when running. I can speed it up to way above my limit (500) but it won't go lower than about 20. Not good when cutting really thick stuff!

I tried to set the laser power to lower than 5 but it still seemed to cut at about 10-15%. Nothing I did would set the power level any lower. I could engrave on paper with the 100 watt laser with the older set up at 5% but now I can't. I can't seem to find how to change this to a lower setting either.

All the inputs have 24 volts across them and they don't change when a file is run so I don't know what they would be used for! I can't seem to find a software setting for them either. (well, none that is labelled " input#1 " etc ).

It sort of makes me wonder about the "passed" sticker on the hardware. :-)

Testing continues...... While I await a good manual........

Richard.
waltfl

Post by waltfl »

Hi rich,
I got the limit switch worling now I switched the motor wire ( B+ an -) and now the lits works on both and even backs up from the lock. I also can move the X axis with the panel arrows but the Y axis panel arrows works up side down and i can not reverse in the software because I can not connect to a computer.
you are damn right this new board has many flaws and needs to fixed pretty fast it probably was to early released you can see this on the fact that as I have ordered mine it was advertised as the latest and I received it only two weeks ago without the network connector.
the manual needs major reworking too especially in rgards to the actual installation and all the function.
I dont have the probleme with the laser it works with the panel bottum
greetings
walt

baccus61 wrote:I have just done some more checking.

FYI, The DSP is now 24 volt so you will need to upgrade to a 24 volt power supply. I just bought a cheap 1.5 Amp Switchmode power supply that works quite well, for $26.

When I press the "Reset" button on the LCD panel, the laser turns on for as long as I hold down the key. It shouldn't do this. That's dangerous! Then the head goes off and slams continuously into the stops until the soft limits are reached. (I guess that's what happens) If I select the Hardware Limits check box then I can't process a file as the "Trigger Limit" is activated and the head won't move. I haven't tried swapping my stepper motor wires around yet to see if this will make a difference and then swapping all the software driver settings around. It certainly does seem like everything is backwards with the limits. I have had a lot of trouble setting these up before so I may be doing something stupid and not knowing about it but I have tried all the settings I can think of except changing the motor wires.

The only output terminal I can find that turns on with the running of a file is terminal #1 on 2.OUT but the lowest voltage it has is 7.5V which is 2-3 volts above my Opto-relay switching voltage so it will be on all the time and not turn off at the end of processing. I will have to look around for a 12 volt minimum switching one and see if that works.

Once today I pressed the "LASER" button on the LCD panel and the laser turned on and stayed on even after I let go of the button. It also did this from the software screen. It's like it has a latching relay on it sometimes. It has only done this 3 times so it's an intermittent fault.

Is there a minimum setting for the speed? I can't seem to find it anywhere and I have set it way down to 1mm/sec but it still goes at about 20mm/sec when running. I can speed it up to way above my limit (500) but it won't go lower than about 20. Not good when cutting really thick stuff!

I tried to set the laser power to lower than 5 but it still seemed to cut at about 10-15%. Nothing I did would set the power level any lower. I could engrave on paper with the 100 watt laser with the older set up at 5% but now I can't. I can't seem to find how to change this to a lower setting either.

All the inputs have 24 volts across them and they don't change when a file is run so I don't know what they would be used for! I can't seem to find a software setting for them either. (well, none that is labelled " input#1 " etc ).

Richard.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Rich:

Download this patch see if it fix your problem:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=837&p=2904#p2904

The limit switch issue, did you look at the post I made for the connection diagram. There is hardware and software limit features added and you need to set it up on the LaserCut.

Marco

baccus61 wrote:I have just done some more checking.

Richard.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Rich:

The engineer said that you may have wire connection issue. Check the TL and TH. He said that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have laser ON when Resert button is press. Make sure you didn't connect TH to TL or vice vesa

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Hi Marco,
The way I have it wired up now is the only way I have been able to get it to work properly. (unless there is another diagram that shows a different way). I had issues with the last controller with the "Laser" button being pressed and the laser would stay on continuously. This was also an occasional thing.
I have the TTL going to the TH terminal and the PWM on the board going into the "In" on the laser power supply and "High" set in software. Any other way and the laser stays on all the time.

I will swap my motor wires this morning and see how I go with the rest of it.
Rich.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Tech_Marco wrote:Rich:

Download this patch see if it fix your problem:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=837&p=2904#p2904

The limit switch issue, did you look at the post I made for the connection diagram. There is hardware and software limit features added and you need to set it up on the LaserCut.

Marco

I installed the 5.5B LaserCad program which went OK.

I then tried to install the LCD patch but I can't find where to install it to. Does it go in the Program folder or do I load it in through the software. None of my programs would install it!

You may need to put in some instructions on how to do it, Marco.

Can you point me in the right direction to the latest connection diagram. I have downloaded everything I can find on it but I am still in the same boat. I will read the manual a bit more later on and digest some more info as it might just click on how to do things. The DSP cover has been changed ( the correct pin outs) from when I got the board from you to how the manual has it like Y+, X+, Y-, X-.

I also can't get the network to talk to the DSP. I have set the IP address, 192.168.08.029, in software the same as the one in the LCD controller but it still won't recognize it.

thanks.
Rich.

P.S. Still no go on the limits after swapping the motor wires around. I will try again after dinner tonight when it is a bit cooler. it's got me a bit stumped and i may need to try High and Low settings. When I select the Hardware check box all I get is "Trigger Limits" fault and I can't move the laser head or gantry. It's probably something simple but I haven't found it yet.
twehr

Post by twehr »

baccus61 wrote: I also can't get the network to talk to the DSP. I have set the IP address, 192.168.08.029, in software the same as the one in the LCD controller but it still won't recognize it.
Rich,

Are you going directly from the computer to the controller with a network cable or are you going through a local network? You need to have all devices on the network (computer and controller and any other devices like the router, etc) on the same set of IPs? Network communications is not always intuitive if you do not have experience with it.

For example: 192.168.08.xxx where only the xxx changes on each device. If you are already on a network, find out what your current network is set to (may be different from the .08) and make sure all devices are the same. What you want is that ALL devices have the same AAA.BBB.CC with a differing .xxx.

If you (or anyone) has questions about how to set up a simple network, they can ask and I will try to write something up.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Hi Tim,
I was just connecting up the card to the computer without a router. I thought the comms would be built in for it to work. I have a spare router here that I could try on it but not for now.
I had all the settings the same for the DSP and the Computer but I have now switched back to the USB as that works and I can't be stuffing around with the network right now.

I loaded in the LC5.5b and then tried to run the patch software for the LCD screen but nothing seems to have happened and I get a PHCad error pop up. That's great!

Guess what? Now the LCD screen (HMI) won't work. It just says "waiting" BUT when I turn the whole setup on, the LCD screen VERY slowly writes across the screen "waiting" like a reveal in a video editing program and that's where it stays. The LCD screen is in effect locked up.
I can still use all the functions on the computer screen like origin, the move keys, process a file etc but the LCD screen is now locked up. :-(

We still have the old problem of having to change the datum direction every time we want to raise the table if we haven't taken it back to where it was before the machine was shut down. I REALLY wish I could disable the soft limits on the Z axis and just be able to drive it up or down without having to keep swapping the origin direction every time it reaches the limits. If you forget to drive the table back to the setting you started with when you first start up the laser then you have to go through that whole set up process every time. I just don't like the whole implementation of it. I don't think this can be changed as it's integral to the whole system. I briefly tried the U axis but I will save that for another rainy day when I get the rest of it sorted out.

The limits still don't work! if I select Hardware limits then I can't move the table any direction in X or Y. If I press reset (before the LCD screen pooped itself) the gantry moves about 1mm then stops. I have changed the motor wires around hoping that may be the trouble but it's not. I can't find the section in the manual or on this forum that Marco is talking about where you set up the soft and hard limits.

The only other thing I can do now is to swap out all the NC limit switches with NO ones and see if that works.

I wish I could afford to bring Marco out here for a holiday and get him to set it up for me while I sit in the pub drinking cold beer and solving the worlds problems other than mine :-)

Rich.
twehr

Post by twehr »

baccus61 wrote:Hi Tim,

We still have the old problem of having to change the datum direction every time we want to raise the table if we haven't taken it back to where it was before the machine was shut down. I REALLY wish I could disable the soft limits on the Z axis and just be able to drive it up or down without having to keep swapping the origin direction every time it reaches the limits. If you forget to drive the table back to the setting you started with when you first start up the laser then you have to go through that whole set up process every time. I just don't like the whole implementation of it. I don't think this can be changed as it's integral to the whole system. I briefly tried the U axis but I will save that for another rainy day when I get the rest of it sorted out.
I am still using the U solution I blogged about - it works great. The most efficient alternative for you is to remember to always do a Z reset before shutting it down. That way, it is always at the bottom when you start up and you can use the arrow keys to raise it. Having to remember is not my ideal and that is why I developed the U axis method.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Rich:

When you se "waiting..." on the LCD screen, it means that there is connection issue on the plug. Please clean up the connector for that the LCD is plugged. I was told that there may be some coating issue on the connector. You may need use come contact clearner or sand paper to clean up the surface.

Also, I'm posting a new version that software. I talked to the tech and enginner and both said that the card was much 'stronger' than the old card. It shouldn't has too much trouble than the old one. Each card tested throughly before shipped.

I did some test this afternoon for the networking. It's GREAT! The card can do peer to peer or 1 PC to multiple machine or mutliple PC to 1 machine or multiple machine to multiple PC. Much faster and better than using USB!

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Rich:

Just found out that you don't need to install patch on your card. The Reset is issue should be caused by the wrong connection on of TH. Please double check your wire connection. You should use TL to the power supply as the software, by default is set to "level low". If you need to use the 'TH', you need to configure the software for level high

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the heads up.

I have the laser set to LOW now and the connection on the laser power supply connected to the TL connection.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the LCD connector without success but I will clean the contacts today and give it another go. I hope it works. The only difference I made before all this happened was doing the update and trying to install the plugin. I placed the plugin in the LC5 Directory so I might delete that as well just in case.

Can you write a quick set up procedure for the networking? Do I need to use a Router or will a direct connection from PC to DSP work?

Tim, I will try the U method once I get the limits working. Using the Z with soft limits is a real pain when you swap from using the Rotary attachment back to using the table normally and turn off the machine thinking you might need the rotary tomorrow or something. It takes about 1 minute for me to raise the table and although it doesn't sound long it's very tiresome just standing there watching it. Just being able to drive it up and down will be a bonus without tripping the soft limits. U axis.....Here I come....

Thanks guys.

Rich.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

I set the limits up a bit better today. I took 1 thing at a time and did it methodically and now I have the read out on the LCD display matching the direction and movement of the gantry. Every thing was back to front or reversed from the last DSP board. I really wasn't ready for that! The hard limits still won't work but I have the software set as LOW so I need NO limit switches. I will change them out over the next few days.
I mistakenly thought the Y direction travelling AWAY from me was Positive. It's Negative.....Derrr! I think I will draw up a small diagram and paste it on the laser so I don't forget next time.

I had a problem with the laser parameters, speed/power etc, not changing to what I wanted so I went looking for something that might have changed since the older board and found it.

In the Menu on the LCD (HMI) screen there is #5 = Control Mode "Soft Layer" or "LCD Panel". This sets the laser to use EITHER the software settings OR the LCD settings for power, speed origin etc. If you set the parameters in software to what you want they won't change the speeds etc if you have "LCD Panel" selected in #5 menu item.

Took a while to find that one!!!

On the previous board it only affected it when you used the LCD screen to move around the table and fire the laser manually.
I couldn't work out why my speeds and power settings would not change. I now have them set up for "Soft Layer" so I can change them on the screen. It seems more logical this way as this is where most of the setting up is done anyway.

There still seems to be a bit of an issue with the Origin set up as well but that will be sorted out when the manual comes out and I get to grips with the software a bit more.

I have set the laser to fire on "LOW" and cleaned the terminals on the DSP for the LCD screen and now it works again. Had me a bit worried there for a while as I thought I might have shorted something or the patch I applied stuffed it up. I haven't had the issue with the laser staying on when the "Laser" button is pressed for the whole day.

I'm getting there slowly. I'm getting old, you know. :-)

The manual for setting up the networking is by chance all in Chinese for that section. I'll wait for the English version to arrive but I'm not worried about it as the USB still works ok.

I just seem to cry wolf a bit too much lately without being more judgemental on what I am doing.

I had a play with the engraving settings about an hour ago and pushed it up 200mm/s at a time to see when the head would stall. So far I have it running at 1500mm/s with no signs of the stepper losing steps. VASTLY different to the old DSP board where I could only get 250mm/s max out of it before it would stutter and lose steps and makes me think there was something wrong with it right from the start. This I am very happy about. I just wonder if the laser itself will be able to keep up with it but that is something for another day of fun.
It's interesting to see the space it needs off the job to be able to get up to speed for engraving. It's about 4" - 5" at the higher speeds.

Some things are the same and some things are vastly different and it's going to take me a little time to work it out.

Rich.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

I had another look at the Limits today and found a couple of things.
The limits were marked wrong on the DSP. I didn't think it made sense.!
My machine is "left up" for the "Machine Zero" and "Left Down" for the "Job Zero" and that way I can use the adjustable limit stop on the X axis

I have them marked like this now:-
1 24V
2 Y-
3 X+
4 Y+
5 X-
6 GND

I have the other setting like this

X Datum = Negative X Key Dir = Neg
Y Datum = Negative Y Key Dir = Positive

The table axis are like this -
.............. Y-
...............:
........X-....O.....X+
...............:
...............Y+

Sorry about all the dots but that is the only way I could get the letters to pad out to where I wanted them.

The Range is 800mm x 800mm for my table work area at the moment and I can increase or decrease it any time I want but that is a good envelope to work in.
Start speed is 10.0
Max acc is 10,000
Max Speed is 1500mm/s

If the motors turn the wrong way then you need to swap over 2 wires (A,A+ or B,B+) to change direction. Please do turn off the power to the drives when you do this as some drives will destroy themselves if one of the wires is off and the power is on.

You also need to have NO limit switches. NC ones won't do the job and you will get a "Trigger Limits" message because the switches are closed. I didn't have any luck with the "High" setting trying to get these right so just use NO switches and set "Low Pulse" in the software.

The limits set up is where I always have to biggest problem with the DSP set up because there are so many different ways to connect them. This has taken me 2 days to sort out but mainly due to the wrong labeling throwing me off. It was marked by hand with a felt tip marker from someone but it was still wrong. ( I think it was anyway as it all works now)

I have 4 limits, one on each side of the gantry.
I set the "Home/Reset" speed to about 10 or something equally slow for your machine and then pressed "Reset". As the gantry was homing slowly I was able to press each individual limit to see if that was the one the DSP was looking for. This was the only way I could find which limit was the right one and how I found out the labeling was wrong. Phew! It really takes some time, sometimes!

I hope this helps some people out there with their set up.

Every thing is now working as it should (except for the air assist but I will tackle that later)

I pressed the LASER button on the LCD screen and the laser fired and stayed on again. I had to press RESET to stop it. It's not in my wiring!
My old board did this as well.
I'm happy things are working now and I just need to iron out a few problems but they don't stop me using the laser though. It runs VERY well.

Rich

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”