Noob needs advice ULS 25PS

millertimeisnow

Noob needs advice ULS 25PS

Post by millertimeisnow »

This is my first post so be gentle. :P

I happened upon a Universal ULS-25PS laser engraver and need a little advice on what route to go to get it up and running. It appears that the only thing that is wrong with it is the laser needs recharged. It is a Synrad RF AC laser. I am hesitant to spend $2500 to have it recharged and hope that there are no other problems with it. Partially because it is only a 25 watt laser.

I have thought about replacing it with a glass tube laser but was told that they do not engrave as well as an RF tube. Is there any noticeable difference?

If go this route then I could up the laser to an 80 watt and put in all new electronic from Lightobjects and have a system that is like new. From what I was looking on prices I could do this for close to the same cost of recharging the original laser (If I guessed right about what I need). I would also like to add air assist and a red dot pointer to it as well.

So what does everyone think?

Also does anyone know where I can find a good stand for this laser? Factory or aftermarket. The person that I got it from did not have the original stand.
baccus61

Re: Noob needs advice ULS 25PS

Post by baccus61 »

Gee, I don't know. I reckon they seem to be about the same. I had a ULS 30 watt RF laser in use for about 3 years and swapped it out for a 100 watt long life glass tube. About the only difference I can tell is that the glass tube cuts with a buzzing sound like the laser is pulsing when cutting. The RF one seemed really smooth.
They both cut and engrave and the glass tube was 1/4 of the price.
I reckon if you can squeeze it in then get an 80 watt one and you won't feel like you are lacking on power again. Just cut a hole in 1 side and let it stick out but add a protective cover over it so you don't drop things on it and smash it.
The ULS motion stuff will be in good nick so you have a very good place to start from.

The 25 watt one won't have enough power for burning Cermark into engraving jobs so that will be out.
You will only be able to cut about 1/4" acrylic in 1 pass very slowly.
You will only be able to cut 1/4" MDF in 1 pass very slowly. (maybe)

You will be able to engrave glass well at about 10 watts
You can engrave granite and marble at 10 watts very nicely.

After having a 25 watt laser for a while you will want to do every thing faster anyway.
If you are on a budget then you will be limited to what you can buy for it. The DSP is very good value for money and the PHCad is second to none in the price range and you can engrave and cut in the same file

Some build logs can be found here http://www.buildlog.net/ and there is a build log of a bloke rebuilding a ULS laser table. I think his nick is Bdring.
Rich.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”