DSP motors not turning

baccus61

Re: DSP motors not turning

Post by baccus61 »

Hey Chris,
Have you swapped the axis around and tried that just to find out if it is the drive and not a noisy X axis connection, or bad DSP ( but I doubt it).
Swap the connections from the Y to the X and vice versa and see if it still does it. if it does then it might be a bad drive.
That's the trouble with 2nd hand stuff. You never know. I had a drive that was faulty when I tried it so I took the cover off and found a broken joint on one of the solder joints to a component at the front of the board. It was easy to find so I just soldered it back on and now it works fine and is in my plasma cutter. Just luck as I am not an electronics wizz.
Rich.
powerfade

Post by powerfade »

Hi Rich.. I swapped the y axis drives to the output for the x axis on the DSP and it worked fine. So I think the DSP is okay. The 1.4 amp drives run so smooth. It's weird. Maybe I should open up the 2.8 amp drive and see if I can visibly see anything bad. When I turn on the DSP and it goes to the "HOME" position, I just let it go until it stops with out triggering a limit switch, which is noisy. I took the motor off of the gantry and basically held it in my hand today, and you can't audibly hear the vibration, but you can feel it in your hand. I tried turning down the RUN, but then I get it so low that it won'teven turn. Ah such is life....Maybe it's time to splurge for a different drive.

One day it will work!!! :)

Chris
powerfade

Post by powerfade »

Rich.. I just thought of something that was weird and did not make sense to me. While the drive was off I was getting shocked when I was unscrewing the screws that connect the wires from the drive to the motors (i.e. blue, red, brown, black.., etc.) I believe it was when I had the screwdriver on the screw and I was touching the metal portion of the screwdriver and my hand would touch the aluminum box I built that contains all of the drives. I have my drives plugged into a multi plug outlet with an on/off switch. Even when I turned off the drives with that switch (the drives would shut down), I was getting shocked. I had to unplug the multi plug outlet from the wall to keep from getting shocked. It's gotta be the drive?? Maybe something fell inside.. I must explore further now.. :)

Thanks for reading my babble!!!

Chris
powerfade

Post by powerfade »

Hey Rich.. So I got my new(used) drive UDX5128NA drive yesterday and it runs like a charm. Whew.. Finally. Anyways, I am not sure if the driver was bad or for some reason it wasn't compatible with the motor. I am assuming that is was bad. Thought I would let you know how it all turned out. Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Chris

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”