Red pointer lens cracking.

baccus61

Red pointer lens cracking.

Post by baccus61 »

Hey guys,
Do any of you have a red laser diode pointer fitted to your laser set up?
I have used a couple of pointers with my table and have been having the little lens on the diode cracking not long after installing them. I have used 2 different types so far with the same result.

I am using a beam combiner lens and it's attached about 1" from the laser output.

It seems as though there is a small amount of laser energy being deflected into the pointer from the CO2 laser tube but I cannot confirm this.

It's the only thing I can think of. The lens actually looks cracked like a piece of glass but I think they are only acrylic molded lens assemblies.
I attached the beam combiner lens holder directly to the aluminum output coupler shield to stop dirt from getting to the output coupler. This way I would never have to clean it. I would only need to clean the beam combiner lens.

I really don't have the room to move the combiner lens assembly to another spot except by putting it after the 2nd mirror assembly and that would complicate the set up too much.
Bit of a problem.

Rich.
ctoutmoi

Re: Red pointer lens cracking.

Post by ctoutmoi »

Hi,

It is the combined beam that breaks or visible laser lens? I failed to transcribe sorry.
That CO2 is part of the beam deflected by the beam combiner to the visible laser to me unlikely.
Here is a picture of my setup:

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”