Red laser alignment beam

simonhippo

Red laser alignment beam

Post by simonhippo »

Hi there, I've almost completed my laser bed design. The last problem to solve is the red laser alignment pointer. How is it done, and does light object sell the necessary parts and mirrors. This is my last part of the puzzle, please help.

Cheers, Si.
lasersafe1

Re: Red laser alignment beam

Post by lasersafe1 »

There are beam combiners you can find on ebay, but they are typically $100 or more. I decided that I wouldn't need much red light, so I bought a regular CO2 window from a guy named Guyovad on ebay. It turns out that the ZnSe windows reflect plenty of red without any special coating. I bought 10 windows for $120, so I would have spares. Perhaps Marco can sell them also since he has many contacts.

I made a video about it that explains it all here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8YGkef ... er&list=UL
Attachments
schematic of my red laser pointer added to CO2
schematic of my red laser pointer added to CO2
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I'm thinking to customize a laser pointing module without using using a combined lens/mirror. Instead, it could be mounted right next to the laser tube output and beam shoot out in parellel with the CO2 laser. I need to do some testing with a 5mW red dot laser module.

By the way, is it legal to import small power laser diode? I think the US custom alearted when seeing laser module. As I know, 5mW or smaller is legal to sell in US. But, importing is another issue. Anyone know about the detail. It's such a 'gray' area and I hardly can understand what is Ok what is not.

By the way, some say that a CO2 engraving machine must have a FDA certificate in order to pass the US customer but mine going through without a problem. But a manufacturer I know had their machine blocked because no proof of FDA. It's so unclear to me that whether do we (a seller) need to have a FDA certificate for those machine imported from oversea. Anyone know?
twehr

Post by twehr »

Tech_Marco wrote:I'm thinking to customize a laser pointing module without using using a combined lens/mirror. Instead, it could be mounted right next to the laser tube output and beam shoot out in parellel with the CO2 laser. I need to do some testing with a 5mW red dot laser module.
Don't think that will work. The two beams have to be coaxial, which is the purpose of the combiner lens. If you are parallel, it will not strike the first mirror at the same point. If you aim it at the correct spot, it will be at a different angle.

I have a combiner lens, but have not had the time to build a mount for it. I may wait till I build my new laser, hopefully in March.

tim
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Well, the reflection mirror of a laser machine is at least 20mm in diameter. What I'll do is to have a tiny reflector mirror mount on the tube side and angle to the Red laser beam. The beam should strike straight right on the 1st mirror. As long as the light beam within 20mm limit , it should be able to reach the focuse lens and haing the red dot target to the exact point of the CO2 beam.

Will see. I need to get a 5mW laser for the testing. If you possible, can you use your laser to cut me an fixture for my desgin using epoxy glass? Got to try it. :mrgreen:
lasersafe1

Post by lasersafe1 »

no, the beams must be colinear. You cannot run a parallel beam and expect it to hit the same spot because of the lens focus. It will be offset by the distance it is hitting to the side of the lens.

Officially 21CFR1040 applies to the manufacturer and the distributer. When you sell tubes or power supplies, you are only selling component parts. When you sell the whole engraver, you might run into trouble if you do not have the proper labels and interlocks on the enclosure.

see: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... fr=1040.10

Importing officially labeled class 2 red diode pointers should not be any problem at all.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

There is a manufacturer out there that is putting a red diode on the laser lens assembly at about 30 degrees and pointing the spot at the place where the laser is focused. It would work OK but it just adds weight to the head reducing the speed you can engrave at.
Rich.
maralb

Post by maralb »

Hi, Lasersafe1
that type regular CO2 window to have acquired??
I have tried with ZnSe focal 100mm without result
thanks
lasersafe1

Post by lasersafe1 »

The windows I bought from Guyovad on ebay are labeled as follows:
Manufacturer II/IV
ZnSe Window
SO#148506
15mm dia. X 1.5mm thick
Side1: PO/TAR
Side 2: PO/TAR
Coated at 10.6, 2.94, .670um

The work great for me. I bought several, but I am not very keen on reselling any.
maralb

Post by maralb »

Ok thanks

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”