Testing need help with results

funhawke

Testing need help with results

Post by funhawke »

6090 Chinese laser still not functioning "normal" after replacing power supply with LO Smartbean 80W PWM CO2 Laser Power Supply. Reviewed all wiring and seems to be fine but did a number of tests but the power requirement seems to be at least double to what my past tube required - I replaced Reci with a SPT. I am not particularly fond of the connectors for the SPT - just a pole out of the tube, compared to other tubes I have had. I checked with LO Support and they said use alligator clips - I am concerned about arching. Anyway back to the tests (see below) There does not seem to be a good solid beam until I hit a power of 40, which in the past I rarely used any setting above 40 for anything - I would normally adjust the speed down rather than the power up, but now I have to adjust the power very high and the speed very slow just to cut through a piece of cloth?

Changed setting on multimeter to read above 20a - and when doing the sets at 50 % power it read 20 - 21ma constant

BTW - I used an external meter instead of the one installed on machine as it is not reading properly at all - any time I run a test it says EFE

Any help?
Attachments
testresults.png
connec.png
Tech_Marco

Re: Testing need help with results

Post by Tech_Marco »

The smartbean needs good grounding, which may be why it does not output anything at lower current(it thinks that is the leaking current). Try to connect the ground side of the tube directly(one wire) to the smartbean ground. The high voltage side can be shield with a piece of silicone tubing to prevent arcing. If there is no metal less than 2~3inches distance, it usually will not arc even without shield.
funhawke

Post by funhawke »

today, I uninstalled the smartbeam power supply and reinslalled the original power supply. mulit meter and more importantly, the tube are functioning normal. Cuts well and clean at past "normal" settings from the past.

New question - how can I test the Smartbeam if it works or not - without the PIA of reinstalling? The current power supply has given me issues and suspect it will not last long.

And finally - downloaded new version of LASERCAD - what is the pressure setting for?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

SmartBean laser power supply won't fire up if the ground is shared. This power supply will auto shut off if either the HV cable or ground wire is open circuit. It is a protection if a laser tube is cracked or gas leaked. So, the ground wire must be isolated from the chassis. You may not want to use the alligator clip but wrapped the high voltage cable and ground wire to the pins. Then use a cable tight down to secure it, glue it with silicon gel. The alligator is good for testing only.

The pressure is a new feature for hybrid system. So, you can ignore it.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”