4-Axis or 6-Axis Controller?

awrdbob

4-Axis or 6-Axis Controller?

Post by awrdbob »

Laser can be used in many different ways for many different applications. In my case, I am interested in laser engraving (not necessarily cutting) surfaces (quickly) for my business (awards and trophy shop).
Too that end, I have a use for a rotary attachment option. On my current (preparatory) machine, when we insert the rotary attachment, it "plugs in" and informs the software that the attachment is present and moves the (Z) gantry to a predetermined location that relates to the “center” of the rotational device. This then “switches” the “Z” axis control to the rotation device and that “Z” movement operates the rotation device. (At least this is my perception of what is happening.) The “X” axis ‘rasters’ across the object being engraved and the “Z” axis now rotates the object being engraved to create the desired result.
Now, having established this example activity, I am trying to determine which controller I need to first control the the rotational device (like a “Traction Rotary for CNC or CO2 Laser Machine”, Lightobject sku ECNC-RTY4W).
My question, I am seeing 4 axis controller that have a axis “U” but I am not finding any documentation that references using “axis U” controller for a rotary device. Generally, I find docs that reference “axis U” for table roller movement.
What I find is forum posts of various users that are psychically “unplugging” their “Z axis motor wires” and plugging in the rotary to the “Z axis” to control the rotation. I would prefer to not unplug and plug the device “in this manner”.
So, my question, finally, (sorry for length of post) can I use the “Axis U” controller to control the rotary attachment? Or would a 6 axis controller (like a X7?) be better and use the fifth or sixth axis (“V”? or “W”?) to control the rotary?
Once someone helps me determine which controller I need (4-Axis or 6-Axis) for this activity, then I can dig into the appropriate user manual see how to accomplish this somewhat complicated task and ask more specific rotational questions, here.
Thanks in advance.
Tech_Marco

Re: 4-Axis or 6-Axis Controller?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Three models of our controllers will support 'rotary' with the aid of the 4th axis , the U axis. It is the T9, X7, and the R6
You don't want to disable 'Z' for the rotary because you need to keep it to set distance for the rotary vs. laser tip. In general (old day), people disconnected the 'Y' axis for the rotary. But with my demand to the manufacturers, they (T9, X7, R6) from three different manufacturers were willing to add the features for us. What you need is a motor driver for the U axis and you can Enable/Disable it on the software/controller. It may not shows the detail on the manual because it was a new feature. We're trying to add a complimentary manual for that purpose. In the meantime, you may ask our tech support if you buy one from us. We provide limited support but if you want to, you can buy the phone support and our tech will go through it with you step by step

Marco
awrdbob

Re: 4-Axis or 6-Axis Controller? SOLVED

Post by awrdbob »

Thank you so much for the reply and thanks for the clarification. I was struggling to determine which controller I needed for this.

Everything you indicated is what I am looking to do and even if it is a new feature, I can work out any details with support. (If I need to purchase support, that's fine, no complaints.)

Now, I can move forward with my project.

(I have added "SOLVED" to my subject title as I do not see any other way to indicate so.)

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”