Wavy edges only one axis and direction

joel1

Wavy edges only one axis and direction

Post by joel1 »

Hi,

I was cutting a template out of card stock today and noticed one edge was wavy almost like the head is bouncing.

It is only on the Y axis and moving from max Y to min Y. There is no X axis movement involved. What I see is wandering in the X axis direction.

I see the same thing whether cutting from a DXF or just manually driving the Y axis and holding the pulse button down.

I checked for loose mirrors, loose focus lens, and cleaned the Y rails, no change.

The waviness seems to happen at random intervals along the cut. The cut can be straight and smooth for a while, get wavy, then smooth back out.

Attached is a pic, the waviness looks the same on different materials ( rule out material density changes ).

My cutter is built around the 900x600 XY

Any thoughts?

Joel
wavy_Y.jpg
Tech_Marco

Re: Wavy edges only one axis and direction

Post by Tech_Marco »

Usually it is caused by lose parts like focus lens in most cases. Then, check the mirror stands the next. It the problem insisted, then it could be parameters issued. Could be parameters like acceleration set too high, as well as inappropriate "speed factor" can lead to the issue

Marco
joel1

Post by joel1 »

Thanks Marco,

I will recheck mirrors and lenses ( I tried two different lens tubes I have ).

Will also play with parameters.

Joel
joel1

Post by joel1 »

Hi Marco,

I had a chance to look at things again and did find my 2nd mirror was loose in the holder. Tightened that up and problem solved.

Thanks!

Joel

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”