Real time auto focus tracking system for CO2 laser

Tech_Marco

Real time auto focus tracking system for CO2 laser

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hey folks

We are designing a real time tracking system similar to this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0hAMrBnso

We should be able to launch the first system in two months if things go smoothly. Double fingers crossed!
48552021-3CCA-4D70-B1FC-A7A67639B019.jpeg
Marco
SWMS

Re: Real time auto focus tracking system for CO2 laser

Post by SWMS »

That looks heavy!

Would you need a larger motor on the x axis? I suppose if you are going for autofocus you may as well have closed loop hybrids.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Regular stepping motor is ok. Remember that is is designed for cutting but not for engraving so the X traveling speed is hardly go over 50mm/s. But one may want to upgrade the X motor for another size bigger or like you said get the closed loop stepper should get better performance. I need to test it when prototype is received. I know it works great on 50mm/s but I haven’t tried it over 100mm/s which seems is the limit. Few more weeks later and I should have the system for testing

Stay tuned

Marco
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

So the system works independently of the DSP and it’s only the focus lense tht moves up and down?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, isn’t it cool

M
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

So to calibrate the focus lens you’d have to put the head at the limit of its extension so that when at its shortest extension it stays focused?

I assume it works by bouncing a IR beam off the surface of the material that then returns a voltage and that tells you how far away it is. So then you have a circuit board that once you set a calibrate button it moves down if the voltage starts dropping and up if the voltage rises?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, it used a laser distance measurement device to calculate the distance through a DA converter. Then, we have to use A/D converter to convert the analog voltage back to the controller and make adjustment on the laser head. I haven't though much about the initiation yet till the prototype arrived. May be you can help smile ?

The first module only take dia.20mm, f:63.5 lens. The next version will be one with swap-able focus lens, possible 50.8mm and/or 68.5mm.

We're also working on another auto focus laser head (not real time) with a limit switch installed so that it can do focus point adjustment through a 'Z' table. There is no need to have any distance measurement devices or circuit required but relying on the laser controller board whether is it supporting 'auto focus' or not.

Marco
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

I’ll help if you send me a free prototype to test :lol: hah.

So the second one is a laser head with integrated autofocus rather than these bolted in proximity switches. ?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Two different auto focusing is coming through DHL. I should have that received by tomorrow
We're working on the controller board for the real time tracking system. For the other one, no circuit board need. There is a micro sensor switch installed on the laser head (barrel) and no sensor probe required. I'll post the images when I received it

Marco
cryoteck

Post by cryoteck »

What happened with the real time focus laser head? Did you manage to make it available for purchase, I would be very interrested in something like that! :)

Thanks.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Which one, real time tracking or one time passive through Z table ? Passive one is here and ready to sell. The real time tracking still need a little fine tuning even though is full functioning now. I want to improve the speed response from 30mm to 50mm. Am I a little greedy? ! :P

Marco
BanksCNC

Post by BanksCNC »

I'm curious about the real time tracking head aswell..Not thru Z axis
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, it is completed and in final testing phase. It works really good if you're cutting speed is under 30mm/s. The reason I didn't launch it yet becauseI found that if the cutting speed is 50mm/s of faster, the speed of the powered telescope couldn't catch up. But the true is that, In reality you hardly see laser doing cutting (thick object like 4mm or over) for over 50m/s and you won't see a sudden drop like those testing I performed on my experiments. So, it should work fine in practical. I'll post a video soon (I lost video when I did test a couple months ago :x )

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

We are in the process setting it up for video. Hopefully we can run the basic demo in this week. Then, we will try to make an mounting bracket for real test afterward

I am taking a vacation to Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong :D
Then, I will spend two weeks in China trying to finalize the design. We are thinking to launch the system by the end of July. Earlier bird order is welcomed.

Marco

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”