80 watt PS with 100 watt laser tube

Freddie

80 watt PS with 100 watt laser tube

Post by Freddie »

I have an 80 watt 600 x 900 laser engraver with a missing tube. I have access to a 100 laser tube. I have mounted it into the machine and connected it. I did a pulse test and it fires. Could I run this setup as is, or will it overload the PS or damage the tube? If it is a problem I'll either buy a 100 watt PS or an 80 watt tube since both of mine seem to work. It's an extra machine for me, just trying to put it into service.
Tech_Marco

Re: 80 watt PS with 100 watt laser tube

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes you can do it but you must limited the current to 26mA (max 28mA) for better to the tube. You may get boost cutting power but just pay more attention on the current. If the machine doesn't has any current monitor meter, you better get one and installed in series with the laser tube in the Ground side

Marco
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Thanks Marco, I do have an amp meter on the machine. I will try it and keep an eye on the ma reading. I have an identical other machine and it only uses about 15 ma while engraving. I'll be using this one for engraving on lower settings, so maybe I can get some life out of the 100 Watt tube for now.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry I oversight your message. I though you're trying to drive a 80W laser tube with a 100W laser power supply. The fact is that you're trying to do other way. In this case, same thing that you need to monitor the current not being over or the laser power supply could be 'overloaded' and get burned. In most case, you may get less cutting power by doing so. Occasionally, the tube may be less stable than powering by a 100W laser power supply due to lower voltage applying to the tube. There are 3x higher voltage transformer for a 100W (100W~200W), but for a 80W LPUS, there are only two in general. So, it won't be able to generate over 28KV (my guessing). A 100W LPSU could output as high as 32~36KV (32,000 to 36,000V).

I suggest you to replace it with a true 100W LPSU. Sorry for my mistake

Marco

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”