new buyer needs advice on wattage

barndoor

new buyer needs advice on wattage

Post by barndoor »

I'm thinking of buying light objects pro 2X3 laser. I've never run one, but I use a CNC router in my shop. I'd like to get good cutting performance in 1/4" baltic birch and I'd like to engrave in wood as well. I was considering the 100watt tube, but now I'm being told that an 80 watt would actually be better for both cutting and engraving. What's the consensus? It's my understanding that a lower wattage tube is better for engraving, and a higher wattage for cutting, but I don't want to compromise and not be able to accomplish both tasks with a reasonable amount of quality and speed. If I had to pick I'd say cutting is more important, but I hate to limit myself. Can engraving be done with a 100 watt with good results?
Mike Teachman

Re: new buyer needs advice on wattage

Post by Mike Teachman »

Our makerspace laser has a 45W tube from Light Object. It is not a problem to cut 1/4" baltic birch. This tube produces high quality engravings. here is an example member project using both cutting and engraving, with 1/8" hardboard, photo attached.

So... for our use, 45W is a good choice for cutting and engraving.
Attachments
WP_20170212_002 (2) (Medium).jpg
SWMS

Re: new buyer needs advice on wattage

Post by SWMS »

Some people say you can still engrave with 120 Watt! I'd go 80-100. You can still change your lenses with a 80-100 watt and get a wider spot but longer depth of field which enables you to cut thicker material. However, that's not a magic solution as material density plays an important factor.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”