Confusing regarding wiring co2 tube

typomaniac

Confusing regarding wiring co2 tube

Post by typomaniac »

Hey,

i have another question. I have been using my old co2 tube for over a year. The strange thing is, that i connected the big red wire to the connection next to the tube (beam) exit and vice versa. Now every wiring diagram i see shows that this is the wrong direction and says that the negative terminal is the one near to the opening where the beam exits. But why did my old tube work for over a year? any idea what to do?

thanks

tm
SWMS

Re: Confusing regarding wiring co2 tube

Post by SWMS »

I'd look at the other end of your 'big red wire' . Make sure it's connected to the +ve terminal. It might have been connected to the -ve and whoever wired it up originally did it backwards. It's definitely the other way around. I am not sure if a tube will work wired up backwards but from a safety point of view considering where the terminals are positioned it should definitely be the other way around.

I'm not entirely sure how you haven't had any accidents yet as you've got about 23Kv coming out of that wire and it likes to find the easiest way to ground. The tube is not the easiest way. :).
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I have posted that matter long before and found that a laser will fire even though positive and negative terminals connection are reversed. Things is just like if we apply high frequency, high voltage to a fluorescent lamp and the lamp will light up.

I can't tell what could bad thing happen to the tube, I can't tell :roll:

Marco
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

That's what I thought Marco. having never done it I couldn't be sure.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”