50W generic chinese laser Z axis drive

geartech

50W generic chinese laser Z axis drive

Post by geartech »

Got a really good deal on a 50w 500x300mm unit. Only thing it doesn't have is the z table drive. The hardware is all there less the motor and controller.
Anyone know where I might find a drive unit?
Have a spare stepper motor controller I can wire in from my k40 conversion unit to drive a z axis.
Then again its not a big deal to manually adj table height on the unit.
I might also put my highly modded K40 unit up for sale, lo-7 controller , 25mm optics and 20mm focus lens with air assist, 45w light object laser tube.
jkittle99

Re: 50W generic chinese laser Z axis drive

Post by jkittle99 »

I'm in the process of designing one right now. I purchased a 500x700 laser, and it also has no powered Z. I'm going to be adding a stepper to drive it. I have only seen hit or miss photos of the units that have a powered Z, and they've all been straight DC motors (or AC motors?) not steppers. It's mostly an excercise of fabricating a stepper mount, and then running a belt from the stepper to the shaft where the manual adjustment knob attaches. Either that, or fashion it into the bottom and drive the belt directly. Not sure which direction I'm going yet, but I'm trying to source the timing pulley to fit my 15mm wide belt with a 5mm pitch. I think I've got one that's close, should be here next week.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”