What is Different SP-SPT-SP V2-RECI-SL

gandyman

What is Different SP-SPT-SP V2-RECI-SL

Post by gandyman »

Can someone help me with a definition of the types of laser tubes. I see lots of info on RECI tubes but find nothing to explain the Difference for:
SP
SP V2
SPT
SL
gandyman

Re: What is Different SP-SPT-SP V2-RECI-SL

Post by gandyman »

Really, No one can help me so I can purchase a new tube?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is just different brand from different manufacturers. No definition. All CO2 laser tube

Marco
gandyman

Post by gandyman »

So there is no difference in quality? I see a big difference in price so I assume that means something. Just want to make sure I get the best Tube/Power for the money. I see the SL says small spot beam. Is that better than SP or SPT spot beam. I do not know why that is important. I have a home built laser that can cut 30" x 42". I am very familiar with CNC machines but this is my first laser. Maybe I asked the wrong question. If I asked to rank quality vs price or something would that make a difference. Just trying to understand the difference so I can get the best tube for the price. That does not mean the cheapest sometimes, as I am sure you know way better than me. I purchase all my laser products from you as you are very trustworthy and that matters so much now days. I just got your 800W chiller and a 45W tube. It works great but really looking to get another tube so I can use the 45W for engraving and the other for cutting. You have like three types of 80W and 100W tubes and not sure witch one to get. The way I am looking at it, 45W can cut no issues but takes longer and that means hours of life from tube, an 80 or 100 will do the same thing faster and leave me more hours on the tube due to less time used. I cut all kind of sizes from 1/16" to 1/2" Plexiglas, plywood, and such. I have one laser head from the left and one from the right. I do not use them at the same time but when I finish with engraving (left laser head), I use an offset for the right laser head and cut. I was using two 35W tubes off eBay but as it is time to replace them would like to get a better tube for cutting. I got the 45W for engraving due to there not being much of a price difference and as I will be using it at lower mA hoping it will last longer. Any help in understanding the differences between the tubes/manufacturers would be great.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

In China or in USA, the most famous brand of laser tube manufacturer should be 'RECI'. The tube they're selling used to be the most expensive and it could be easily 2~3 times more than other Chinese made brands. However, recently there are two reasons why Reci dropped their price. 1) They have a problem of quality control because they're developing a new type laser tube and it didn't work out good. BTW, most other manufacturers in China were used to copy cat Reci design. You may see 'fake' Reci tube 2) High competition. Nowadays, a couple tube manufacturers are making good laser tubes.

If you asked me which one is better. Sure Reci is still number 1 in my choice. Why? Even though the 'Z series' was not quite success in regard to the quality control. At least one thing we shouldn't look down Reci. They have the gut to develop new stuff while others are just copy cat. Plus, Reci provide worldwide exchange services for a defective tube. As long as the tube is still under the warranty, they will send you a replacement. But you must have the seller to do it because Reci ignore most call if you didn't buy direct from them!

Other brands, in my point of my view, are more or less the same. Of course, there are a lot of junkies like those you found on eBay. There are a few things need to consider when buying a laser tube: life span, power, beam spot, beam divergence, threshold current, max current. Again, if you asked me what other brand I like the most beside Reci, I'll tell you that I like a new brand "ShenLei" or 'SL' the best. Why? The beam diameter from SL is very small compare to other. I was amazed to see such small beam spot and such low divergence. Believe or not, the diameter from a 100W tube is about 4mm and it diverge less than 0.5mm about 8ft away! For a 130W and 150W tube, the beam diameter is about 4.5mm and the it diverge to just a little bit shy of 5.2mm which is way better than any other tube I seem before. Even RECI is having 8mm beam diameter and up to 12mm beam divergence. So, what good about it to have small beam spot and low divergence? Well, cutting power is better and engraving will be better due to the higher concentration and results in sharper focus point. Plus, the threshold (triggering) current is very low. To reach stable condition, the SL100W need roughly 4.5mA but other brand need 7~8mA while RECI need 8~9mA. It is very important factor for power delivery especially when doing high speed engraving.

So, if you are looking for new tube, try our SL80W to 150W. The life span may not be as long as Reci but it cost less. Plus, we provide 6 months warranty and a tube usually need to be replaced every year because most tube drop 10% annually. If tube power drop more than 15% in the first 6 months, we will send you a replacement. For the first month, we pay the shipping cost. If it is happened after 1month, then buyer pay for the shipping.

FYI, we tested all tubes with 'NewPort' Professional digital meter. If it is barely meet the minimum rating, we won't ship it out. For example, if the meter read 99W from a 100W, we won't send it out. If the meter read 128W from a 130W tube, we will not send it out.
Unlike other parties, they will ship you a tube as long as it power up and fire. For power tube like 130W or 150W, we will power it for at least 5min in full power and record the trend to a log. We will send our customer a screen shot to verify.

By the way, we will not sell you a tube if you don't show proof of owning a qualified water chiller. Remember that temperature is very critical to a laser tube especially for high power tube like 100W or above. For a laser tube power with 80W or above, we need you to proof that you have real chiller to work along with the tube. If you tell me that you have 'CW3000' (fake chiller), sorry for sure I won't sell you a 100W tube. Because sooner or later you will email us and complain that the tube lost power or die. We try to eliminate those calls and so we will refuse to sell anyone who doesn't has a real water chiller but thinking to get a 100W laser tube. Sorry, it is protecting you and us.

If you still have any question, feel free to contact me. I will tell you all I know, don't care Pro or cons. We always stand behind products we sold. Our price may not the lowest sure we are not the highest. Remember that our support and services are at the top notch! Sorry, we will not compete with sellers from eBay. You know what I mean.

Regards,
Marco
gandyman

Post by gandyman »

Excellent info. Thank you!
Lasercowboy

Post by Lasercowboy »

Tech_Marco wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm So, what good about it to have small beam spot and low divergence? Well, cutting power is better and engraving will be better due to the higher concentration and results in sharper focus point.
Marco,
I don't understand this at all.
The only part I understand and see a benefit from the SPT over the RECI tube outside of the cheaper cost is a lower beam divergence in regard to what you've said.
While a lower bear divergence is a obviously a good thing, I would like you explain how having a tighter beam from the tube will make more power and concentration through the lens, because I was under the impression that this was the opposite result.
Isn't this one of the main advantages and ultimate purpose of a beam expander is?
According to everything I have read about the subject, a broadened beam is by all accounts better before it passes through the focal lens for over all power and reducing the focal point through the lens. Also isn't that better for the life of the mirrors also due to having a lower thermal inductance by reducing the amount of focused heat exchange?
To verify what I've said,
a 2x beam expander will increase the beam width by a factor of 2 and will reduce beam divergence by 2x, which will also reduce the focus point through the lens by 2x and will increase the power density by a factor of 4x.

So if this is the case, wouldn't the RECI tube with the wider beam have more power at the focus point than the smaller beam produced from the SPT tubes?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Small beam is better for the same power tube. Large laser beam resulted from 'Beam expander' is better because the beam has been "polished" or from the better term "collimation" . It is different than what you though Reci was better than SPT because of it's beam bigger, LoL! :lol:

Marco
Lasercowboy

Post by Lasercowboy »

I dont think reci is a better tube, i just thought the idea of columizing the beam by expanding it with a beam expander conflicted with the notion of the narrower beam with the same power strait from the tube its self.
I am trying to underatand the science behind the theory and design is why i questioned your original explantion. Anyhow we recently bought an SPT 100 watt tube from you to replace our reci 100 watt. While i haven't seen a huge improvement of power, i have noticed a much improved consistency and seemingly sharper focus point across the entire bed area of your 1200x900 gantry we installed last year.
So far i must admit. I am impressed with the performance of the SPT tube. If the life is atleast 3/4 that of a RECI tube then i see no reason to ever look at anything else considering how well it is performing for the price.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”