Head and Mirror alignment: Beam hits surface angular

typomaniac

Head and Mirror alignment: Beam hits surface angular

Post by typomaniac »

Hey,

i have been playing around with my buildlog laser (with lo x-7 and lots of other lightobject parts) for months now and i really love the laser. I have been struggling with the air assist until i decided to buy another head from lightobject in order to make everything even better. When installing the lower part of the head (i mixed the black and the silver head from lightobhect) i noticed that my beam almost hits the air assist opening on the left side. On the workpiece the dot looks good (not oval) so i guess it does not hit the corner but it is very close to. You can see the distance on the attached image (i tried to chose the viewing angle so that you can see the offset).

Now my question: How can i change this? I am not sure where that comes from. The last mirror ist hit in the middle everywhere on the whole table. Could it be, that the upper part of the head is rotated? How did you adjust the head so that it is exactly perpendicular?

thank you very much!

tm
20160622_174454_cropped.jpg
offset_view_cropped.jpg
seeigecannon

Re: Head and Mirror alignment: Beam hits surface angular

Post by seeigecannon »

I just happened to do this today, and I found a solution. First, you will need a laser pointer (swap it with your tube if you need to, just make sure it travels the same optical path). What I used to check how perpendicular the beam was is a 1-2-3 block. (One of thesehttp://www.micromark.com/RS/SR/Product/84644_R.jpg) I put the block right under the laser pointer path, and was adjusting it until the laser pointer was no longer hitting the holes. When the laser pointer no longer shines on the sides of the holes the laser is strait up and down to the block. If you don't have access to a 1-2-3 block then just find anything that is going to be square and at least a couple of inches long and work on the mirror until the beam looks to be going strait down.

If this doesn't make sense then let me know so I can take a picture of it.

Edit: Also, get yourself something more like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2820505396 ... noapp=true so you can actually adjust your optics with precision.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”