Upgrading from stepper to servo... how?

bluecuriosity

Upgrading from stepper to servo... how?

Post by bluecuriosity »

Are there any servo direct replacements for the nema 23 stepper that comes packaged in the China lasers?

Are there drawbacks to a servo run XY gantry vs stepper (other than cost)?

I would like more repeat ability granted from encoder feedback as well as an improved laser cut quality when handling acrylics. Anything else I might need to know before setting myself down this road?
pista01

Re: Upgrading from stepper to servo... how?

Post by pista01 »

One possible direct replacement is the ClearPath SK motors.

https://www.teknic.com/products/clearpa ... th_sd_info

I've not used them yet, but I will be using them in my scratch built laser cutter. The motor replaces the stepper and stepper driver, taking the step and dir feeds from the DSP.
thejuggernaut

Post by thejuggernaut »

Just ordered one of these for another project. They look amazing! They can even be setup to use hard limits. You don't even need switches, and they look amazing accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRURwDFvdAs

Watch this video and you'll never want to run anything else.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

The Leadshine 2NM Nema23 Hybrid Servo Closed Loop Stepper Motor 573HBM20-1000+HBS507 perform very well too.. I build several machines with them and i'm very happy with the results.
Despite the high expectations of those Clearpath servo's they could not convince me in practice.. quite overpriced too..IMHO

Kees
thejuggernaut

Post by thejuggernaut »

Techgraphix wrote:The Leadshine 2NM Nema23 Hybrid Servo Closed Loop Stepper Motor 573HBM20-1000+HBS507 perform very well too.. I build several machines with them and i'm very happy with the results.
Despite the high expectations of those Clearpath servo's they could not convince me in practice.. quite overpriced too..IMHO

Kees
What was it about them that you didn't like besides the price? I am curious, because we were about to start using them on another project.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

They ran smooth but i expected much more power and speed compared to my standard steppers.. They perfomed only just a little bit better IMHO..
With the Hybridsteppers from Leadshine + drivers, i had a much bigger improvement for less than half the price..

Another thing is that i live in Europe and stuff from the UnUnited States of America is sent with rediculous shippingcosts which makes goods even more expensive.. Above that i have to pay upto 40% over goods and shipping PLUS a certain (high) amount of importtaxes and handling..
This makes the Chinese market very interesting...
Kees
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

Hey Kees, since we are in Europe ( Don't get me started on the other half of my country voting out of the EU :roll: ) and you building machines. Do you mind if I PM you? You sound like you might know of some useful suppliers etc.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”