Recommended dip switch settings?

WVJoe

Recommended dip switch settings?

Post by WVJoe »

I got everything wired up and turned the power on and the X axis started jerking around pretty erratically and the Y axis was even worse. I touched Esc on the controller and the activity stopped. I then used the LRUD arrows to attempt to move the X and Y and the X moves but not like it is supposed to, if it does move it is smooth but is not consistent. Y does not want to be controlled at all. I am hoping that it just needs the jumpers adjusted on the drivers.

Does anyone have the recommended setting for the drivers?

Thanks to all...
Techgraphix

Re: Recommended dip switch settings?

Post by Techgraphix »

WV Kokamo Joe wrote:Does anyone have the recommended setting for the drivers?...
What kind of drivers?? (brand/type) There are thousands of drivertypes so you might check the datasheets.
You can calculate the settings:
Find out what the travel per rotation of the steppermotor is (for example 100mm). Take a um/step setting of approximate 2-10 and calculate how many steps you have to make for one rotation.
Say, in this example, your goal-setting of the um/step is 5, you will need 100mm(travel)/ 0.005 = 20.000 steps for one rotation. Your steppermotor is normaly 200 steps/rev, so you need to have this steps to be multiply by 100
This means you will set your microstepsetting to 1/100.. (in this example)

The currentsetting: set it so high that the motors will get warm but not too hot.. As long as you can hold the motors for a few seconds they are not too hot..
Unless you would use servo's or hybrid-steppers, they will stay quite cold..

Kees
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Techgraphix wrote:
WV Kokamo Joe wrote:Does anyone have the recommended setting for the drivers?...
What kind of drivers?? (brand/type) There are thousands of drivertypes so you might check the datasheets.
You can calculate the settings:
Find out what the travel per rotation of the steppermotor is (for example 100mm). Take a um/step setting of approximate 2-10 and calculate how many steps you have to make for one rotation.
Say, in this example, your goal-setting of the um/step is 5, you will need 100mm(travel)/ 0.005 = 20.000 steps for one rotation. Your steppermotor is normaly 200 steps/rev, so you need to have this steps to be multiply by 100
This means you will set your microstepsetting to 1/100.. (in this example)

The currentsetting: set it so high that the motors will get warm but not too hot.. As long as you can hold the motors for a few seconds they are not too hot..
Unless you would use servo's or hybrid-steppers, they will stay quite cold..

Kees
I am using the M415B drivers. I am not sure how to determine what the amps are supposed to be for each motor. I do not see any markings on them. I think if I could get what someone else has their amp settings that work, it would be beneficial.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Assuming both X and Y motor are the same. Pick a current setting, for example 1A. Let the system On without movement (idle) for one hour. If the motor is not getting very hot (less than 60degree 'C, then that current setting is ok. If you worried, the drop the current one level down and the motor should get less heat

Do it on both X and Y motor

Marco
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:Assuming both X and Y motor are the same. Pick a current setting, for example 1A. Let the system On without movement (idle) for one hour. If the motor is not getting very hot (less than 60degree 'C, then that current setting is ok. If you worried, the drop the current one level down and the motor should get less heat

Do it on both X and Y motor

Marco
I will do that and see what happens. I am going to upload a video I took of what is happening not only when I turn the power on but when I set the um/pulse number in lasercad and then reset the control panel. The motors sound like they are grinding and the Y motor only sound like it is grinding, it may moth just a little but appears to try and move in the opposite direction of either the arrow on the panel or in lasercad. The X motor is still very noisy but will move but say I'm pressing the right arrow, it may move to the right then if I press the right arrow again it will move left.

Don't know what is going on with them???

I am afraid something is going to tear up.

Here is a video link https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6ieav7t2swux ... 5.mov?dl=0
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Double check your connection. If a wire got loose, it will happen the way you said
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:Double check your connection. If a wire got loose, it will happen the way you said
Also, I have both x and y motors set at 1.05 amp and neither is even getting warm
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Is it A K40 machine?
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:Double check your connection. If a wire got loose, it will happen the way you said
The blue wire from the y axis was indeed loose and that fixed the y problem. The x axis still moves where ever it wants, left or right, regardless which arrow I use. For example. if I press the left button, it will go to the right, press the left button again it will go to the left and then just stop.

Could this have anything to do with setting up the limit switches? I have not seen anywhere to set the limits in any instructions. Nor the bed size for that matter.
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:Is it A K40 machine?
As far as I know it is. It is a 40 watt Co2 laser engraver purchased from ebay. It had the LiHuiyu Studio Labs board in it. Board model 6C6879-LASER-M2:7
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If so, I will set 1A for Y, 0.5A for the X
Use 3200 micro stepping and um should be set to 12.65.

You still need to use the um calculator to finish d an optimal value later
The setting I provided will get you to start the machine with decent movement but Not perfect.

Marco
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:If so, I will set 1A for Y, 0.5A for the X
Use 3200 micro stepping and um should be set to 12.65.

You still need to use the um calculator to finish d an optimal value later
The setting I provided will get you to start the machine with decent movement but Not perfect.

Marco
I tried those settings and the X motor would not even mover, the y was really really slow. I have tried a combination of settings for the X motor and found that 1.05 amp and step of 4 seems to work best for it and the y motor is at 1.05 amp and a step of 8.

The x motor still jumps around when I turn the power on and the control initializes then I hit stop and can move it but both the x & y are reversed on the directional movement and the limits do not appear to be working. Home seems to want to go to the lower right and I have set the software for Upper Left.

Very confused as to what is going on.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

May be I was wrong. Set the UM to 6.5
Use 1/16 (or 3200) for the micro stepping. Don't change this setting
WVJoe

Post by WVJoe »

Tech_Marco wrote:May be I was wrong. Set the UM to 6.5
Use 1/16 (or 3200) for the micro stepping. Don't change this setting
I did exactly what you said and the y axis seems to move ok on this setting, a little noisy but the x axis still does not like it. X seems to move a little better at 1/8th. Why will the axizes not move in the correct directions or stop when they hit the limits?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is because you either need to reverse the motor wiresor configure the direction through software
Read the FAQ I posted on this forum. It tell you most things you need to pay attention for the basic setup.

Swap the drivers so you can eliminate the problem from a bad driver

Marco

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”