Replace PSU, get higher quality cuts?

bluecuriosity

Replace PSU, get higher quality cuts?

Post by bluecuriosity »

During a cut process my power supply failed on a 50w "blue and white" china laser cutter.

I have several machines sitting around including these low end models. I pulled a PSU out of a donor K40 to get the 50w laser running again. I had cut A LOT of acrylic with this K40 prior and noticed that the cut edges were much cleaner than with the stock 50w china machine and when I put this PSU into the 50w it performed the same kind of higher quality cuts. Before they resembled the serrated edge of a coin, but now they are smooth as glass.

Before swapping the PSU out, I had assumed that the imperfect cuts on the larger machine was a symptom of the larger and heavier hardware.

I have ordered the proper PSU for the 50w cutter from lightobject and it should be here in a few days. Should I expect the more expensive hardware to perform better yet?

Honestly, I do not know how to compare the end performance of a laser PSU based on the listed specs.

Can anyone enlighten me or otherwise tell me what to look for when shopping for a PSU?
SWMS

Re: Replace PSU, get higher quality cuts?

Post by SWMS »

I can't sorry, let me know if you get better cuts though, I'll upgrade mine!
seeigecannon

Post by seeigecannon »

EE here: My hackerspace got a K40 that failed within 10 or so hours of use. What happened is that the electrolytic capacitors were not derated properly (e.g. they had 15V caps on 12V lines) and also used caps with no branding on them at all. One of the caps blew hard enough to get stamped by the screen above it. I was able to replaced all of the caps to proper ones (putting 35V caps on the 12V lines) and the PSU is still going years later.

When I got a 60W PSU from LO to replace a failed PSU on the new laser I opened it up to ensue good components, and I was quite impressed. I was hoping to hack larger power-transistors into it as that was what blew on the previous 60W, but the enclosure didn't really allow for that and I didn't want to put the time into it. They surprised me by using name brand (Panasonic) caps as well as using a double sided PCB. I am quite happy with the purchase as is and would be interested in making few changes. I am kinda wishing I would have posted a teardown album here. If I get another PSU I will.

Having a proper PCU would certainly make a difference in whatever you are working with. If your PSU output dips when the steppers are accelerating then that would start screwing with everything else.
bluecuriosity

Post by bluecuriosity »

I also noticed that with the beam set to just barely cut through the acrylic the back side will show like a dotted line where it doesn't quite make it through the backing material. Is this an indication of cheap parts or poor design?

These are supposed to be continuous beam lasers, but my experience has shown me that their characteristics don't quite fit what I would consider continuous. I want to be able to distinguish what tube and PSU when put together will result in what performance BEFORE the purchase is made because at the moment all I have to go on is what amounts to salesmanship vs price points vs subjective opinions and ratings. I would like to know what questions I should be asking.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”