New Built Laser Cutting Out of Square

shanet94

New Built Laser Cutting Out of Square

Post by shanet94 »

Since i started using my new built laser I have always cut small sheets, like 12x12 or so. This week i needed to cut 13x28 and it is not cutting straight down the X axis i assume. Its 13 wide and its 28 long but if you measure diangle its about 1/4 longer on one side. I did notice that if you pull the X all the way to the bottom the left side hits the stop before the right which tells me its not perfectly straight across. I noticed this during the build but assumed it was suppose to be this way as I see no way to adjust it. Everything is good and snug. Any ideas on where i need to look?
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Techgraphix

Re: New Built Laser Cutting Out of Square

Post by Techgraphix »

When you write a rectangle and the result is a parallelogram, then the angle between X and Y is not 90 degrees.
Probably your left and right side are driven by one and the same motor and connected by a rod?
Both sides are coupled to this motor/rod.
If you loosen the coupling on one side you should be able to "turn" the gantry a bit.
Easiest is to loosen one side, set the gantry as perpendicular as possible to the Y-axis and tighten the coupling...
Write a square of, for example 50x50 cm and measure is the diagonal distance between the corners is the same..
Maybe you should do some finetuning till both measure the same..

Kees
shanet94

Re: New Built Laser Cutting Out of Square

Post by shanet94 »

Techgraphix wrote:When you write a rectangle and the result is a parallelogram, then the angle between X and Y is not 90 degrees.
Probably your left and right side are driven by one and the same motor and connected by a rod?
Both sides are coupled to this motor/rod.
If you loosen the coupling on one side you should be able to "turn" the gantry a bit.
Easiest is to loosen one side, set the gantry as perpendicular as possible to the Y-axis and tighten the coupling...
Write a square of, for example 50x50 cm and measure is the diagonal distance between the corners is the same..
Maybe you should do some finetuning till both measure the same..

Kees
I do believe that will fix it! Its almost perfect square now. Never noticed that was that far off until today. Thank you for the advise! Will get some more plastic tomorrow to test it
Thanks
Shane

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”