Extending the X and Y on a 40w System

Axeman

Extending the X and Y on a 40w System

Post by Axeman »

Hey folks...

So this particular end of laser cutting is new to me. I've always had a smaller 2' x 1.5' laser cutter with a gantry mounted tube (I know, it's awful).

I'm upgrading to a 3' x 2' (900 x 600) or a 3' x 3' (900 x 900) XY stage. The question is, what is the max distance of a 40w tube before I lose power at the far end of the stretch? In my case that could be 1800mm or 6 feet. At what point do I need to use a collimator or something similar?
Axeman

Re: Extending the X and Y on a 40w System

Post by Axeman »

Hmmm, maybe this is a Marco question. He's in China at the moment isn't he?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Marco is still here but will leave at 1.30am tonight :D

Actually your question was not addressed correctly. Laser power start to decaying since beam left the "escaped" window. The question is how much of powe left at certain distance away from the laser head.

I think you have an assignment for me :lol: . Okay, I will do the test for a 45W (1M) and 60W (1.2M) today

Btw, I don't recommend a 40W tube for 900mm XY stage. I think you should get a 60W instead. More practical

Marco
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

:lol: Yes, that is a much better question to ask. You're correct.

That's great news to hear! Ok well I'll wait on your thoughts once you find out...I suppose in the mean time I'll make sure to just cut on the corner until I swap out the tube and supply.

If that's the case I may just wait and save up for a proper tube like 80 or 100. :lol:

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”