Laser will not fire

overkill71

Laser will not fire

Post by overkill71 »

Looked around the forum and cant really find anything that helps so far but here is what I have.

Just got a new LO 60W power supply along with a new Light Object 60W tube and the LO-X7 and 708 control board. This is my second machine, first one is a DK40, converted no problem. This one is a complete build and wired up easy enough. I have everything wired up just as in the diagram Light Object sent me. I have FG AC AC all wired to the 110V N and GND on the PWR supply and the G on Laser Power Supply to the GND on the 708, The IN to PWM, and the TL to TTL, also have the WP to GND at the Laser Power Supply. I hit the laser button on the X7 and get nothing from the tube. Water is flowing nicely through the tube, Power supply is set 10 my 110V's, all connections seem good. Big RED wire to the right side of the tube and I even eliminate the digital readout and went the small wire to the left side direct and still no output. Also have the power on DSP set to 15, changed to various settings and no difference.

Also of note, the Laser Power Supply fan does come on and run and everything else works fine, can move the head all over the table, just no laser fire.

Just for kicks I tried to run a program also and wont fire then either.

Any suggestions to try?

Thanks in advance.
Tech_Marco

Re: Laser will not fire

Post by Tech_Marco »

Can you post a picture of the connector that attached to CN1. Or, can you count the number of pins on that connector?
If there is #12, then you need two cables to make it work. But if it is #14, then only one cable is required

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

That was it, I had a 12 pin. On my other LO-X7 it has the flat blade style connectors and I only needed one. Had no instructions on the "New" style so I figured it was just for the second head.

Thanks for the help!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

So sorry about it. A new batch of X7 take two cables to run. I will send you another cable on Monday. I am currently out of town so I can't shio it till Monday

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

No problem, I actually had the second cable, just assumed I didn't need to use it and it was for a second head should I need it. I was going off my other LO-X7 that used one. I am up and firing now, now I am setting mirrors.

Thanks again!
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Now that laser is firing, it seems to be "dancing" around the silver ring inside the tube and has a crackling sound. I am at about 17% power when it does this. At higher power it does not have the sound but you can see it kind of "walk" around the silver ring. Should I worry and if so, what do I need to fix/change/adjust? Of course this is a brand new LO-60W Tube. It does fire and smoke the tape I have on the mirror.

I am still setting the mirrors so I am only hitting the laser button in short spurts, not trying to run during a program.

Thanks
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

When laser current is set too low, loe before it entered saturated zone the beam is not stable and bouncing. But once current high enough to pass the threshold point, it will not bounce much. You still can see some movement inside the tube and that is normal. If you heard cracked sound, you need to pay s little attention because you may have bad grounding or insulation issue. Make sure that the high voltage connection pin not get too closed to the case and wrapped it up with silicon tubing and glue

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Thanks for the info, it is actually up and running now on some test pieces and doing good. I'll double check all connections just to be sure and everything is covered in silicone tube and glue. Just wanted to mention the noise and all, just in case.

Thanks again.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”