best rubber for laser cutting

brian257

best rubber for laser cutting

Post by brian257 »

Can anyone recommend the best type of rubber for laser cut gaskets. I am not real particular on color or hardness of the gaskets, just looking for something that cuts good with a CO2 laser. Some of the rubbers I have tried don't cut cleanly or they make a lot of smoke that has the shop stinking for days.
DonL

Re: best rubber for laser cutting

Post by DonL »

Keep in mind that different rubber compounds are for different purposes, For example if the gasket is for a fuel pump or oil pan, you need neoprene, rubber may fail and dissolve and if the gasket is on a fuel injected engine, that could be disastrous.

There are rubber compounds that are used for stamp making that are low smoke and cut very smooth. You can buy sheets of this material although it may be more expensive than you like.

You can cut gasket material that is not rubber but more like a special thick paper and I bet that would cut real nice. And a roll of it is cheap. Sure beats cutting out gaskets with a razor blade or a hammer ;)

If it is rubber that you need, like inner tube rubber, I don't think you will get away from the stink, A good strong exhaust fan would help and a vent to the outside away from any doors or windows...

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”