Looking for a possible upgrade of a "50w" laser to 60w

PeterE

Looking for a possible upgrade of a "50w" laser to 60w

Post by PeterE »

Hey all!

I have had great joy in running both a standard K40 laser and also in upgrade the control with complete chip and driver package from lightobject.

Now I have gotten my hands on a perfectly fine working and fairly new 500x300 machine. I suspect that the laser tube in it is about as powerfull as in my K40 machine.

The laser is from a company called: Recilaser
And its serial (name) is: 1.11.15-A

There is no marking about voltage or other needs.
It is about 85 centimeter long.

I am looking for 60watt - there is room for 100cm in the machine - but a gate is already present at the end of the laser tube (a plate covers the opening with jsut 4 screws) - so it would be trivial to extend the tube out of the machine (using f.ex. the small extender box for sale here at lightobject).

The PSU looks fairly standard as well. There is a seperate PSU for the stepper drivers etc.
(I will try and attach pictures of both the tube and the PSU).

So the question is: What would I need to purchase and or replace to go up to 60w?

Picture of the tube with sticker: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2CicG ... sp=sharing
Picture of the PSU: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2CicG ... sp=sharing
Tech_Marco

Re: Looking for a possible upgrade of a "50w" laser to 60w

Post by Tech_Marco »

Are you sure it is a laser tube from the RECI? I doubt it.
I believe RECI is only manufacturing the following tubes:
S2 - 80W
S4 - 100W
S6 - 130W
S8 - 150W

There is no model number on your tube. It lead me to believe that it may be a 'fake' laser tube. You may want to question the seller who sold you the machine or the tube.

For a 60W laser tube, you have better to drive it with a 60W CO2 laser power supply (LPSU) or you won't get enough output. Even though it may be able to delivery enough current but it will cause over heated to the LPSU and shorten its life span

Marco
PeterE

Post by PeterE »

Hey Marco - thank you for the answer.

I can't claim it's fake or not - I did not buy it to be of any brand at all. If it fails, I can just replace it with another laser of apparent length.
Perhaps it is this one in disguise? : http://www.lightobject.com/SPT-850mm-CO ... -P977.aspx

If I could ask for a bit more help, please..
If I would want to f.x. use this tube here: http://www.lightobject.com/High-Quality ... -P118.aspx
and this PSU: http://www.lightobject.com/80W100W-PWM- ... V-P73.aspx

Would I need to change the optics?
If yes, can You link to the optics I would need to purchase?

Thank you in advance,
Peter.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Peter:

I'm sorry but I can't answer your question without you providing me more info about your machine. I don't know the dimension of the laser compartment or whether are those tube mounts are adjustable in height. So, do me a favor, make measurement of the tube compartment and post some pictures of your machine here. Please note that the laser head should have 1" clearance to the 1st mirror or at least 0.5"

The high quality RECI tube is 80mm in diameter. I doubt that if it could fit into your machine. Our power supply will work on most CO2 laser tube regardless the brand except that it will not work on RF tube. A RF tube is low voltage driven tube and the working voltage is from DC 30V to 48V while a CO2 laser tube works from 18KV to 36KV. To chose a LPSU, use a higher output to drive either the same power rating or less. For example, for a 80W laser tube, either a 80W or a 100W LPSU will work fine. But you need to monitor the laser current not being over it's rating or life span will be affected greatly without mercy!

Example:
32~35W (K40) - 16mA (peak)
40W - 18mA (peak)
60W - 22mA (peak)
80W - 28mA (peak)
100W - 30mA (peak)

If you have those K40 or similar machine that imported from China with very low price tags. Chance is that the mirror and optics are low grade type. They may use glass base, gold plated mirror and the low grade ZnSe focus lens. Power could be affected by 10~20%. But I can't tell without seeing the optics. If you're happy with the performance, then use it till it got wore out

Marco
PeterE

Post by PeterE »

Hey Marco!

Thank you very much for engaging with me on this - I have been hard at play (well - technically it was work, but it involved a lot of lasercutting and designing with young people, so it hardly qualifies). ;)

There is plenty of room in the holding area for the laser. It's at least 12cm squared - and would hold at least 100mm tubes without issues.
I am planning to design a different holder for the tube than what's delivered (or perhaps just replace that with this one: http://www.lightobject.com/Pro-Laser-Tu ... -P626.aspx - although I am a bit worried about the slender contact points - can this tolerate moving the laser around after mounting?).

I might need to raise the mirrors a bit (I have got this kit laying around somewhere - but I was planning on using that for another build: http://www.lightobject.com/Laser-Head-M ... -P741.aspx).

So given that I could fit the 80W 1200mm tube I discussed before, what would I need to purchase?
1) PSU
2) New focus lens?
3) ..?

Links would be appreciated. ;)

Best wishes,
Peter.
PeterE

Post by PeterE »

So I am considering rolling with a 60W laser. Seems I end out with something like 1.000$ give or take all in all.

But: Shipping is a killer!
Subtotal: $869.70
Shipping: $504.35

Is there no way to ship cheaper than 380$ / 450$ ?
I am not time sensitive..
(It's the laser tube that's the added cost).

Best wishes,
Peter.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Pete:

Where you at? We found cheaper rate to ship to Canada only. It cost about $99 to ship to Canada. For all other countries, we have no choice but used DHL or UPS International. They charge by volume instead of weight on a laser tube. That's why it is expensive.

Regards,
Marco
PeterE

Post by PeterE »

Hey Marco,
I am in Denmark.

I know the shipping is strange here - I have had a crate the size of a wheelbarrow shipped from China for as little as 100$ - but an A3 paper kite cost me 180$ from USA.

Could you please look into it?

Many non-EU companies ship through Holland.

Best wishes,
Peter.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”