etching metal with Pro CO2 laser 80w

crb

etching metal with Pro CO2 laser 80w

Post by crb »

trying to etch metal using thermark LMM14 black ... having issues, please help !
DonL

Re: etching metal with Pro CO2 laser 80w

Post by DonL »

Please explain the issues....

I use Cermerk 6000
You need a thin even coat, not so thin that you can see through but not thick, So I have a sray, one or 2 coats from 12" spraying like you would to paint something, then let it dry, takes 10-20 min depending on temp and humidity.
Position in the laser and etch but use a low power like 25-30% about the same power you would use for etching a painted brass coated steel plate.

Once etched, wash off the coating with plain water and you should have a nice clean black etch.

I found that if I use Cermark for Glass on Stainless or Chrome, I get a frosted etch appearence.
DonL

Post by DonL »

I found a really excellent video on Youtube showing the difference between Thermark and Cermark and how to use it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2ZuOzlMAM

Hope this helps
crb

Post by crb »

Im using CerMark LMM-6000 ( co2 laser 80w) 50 pw x 300 speed ... still not working any suggestions??
DonL

Post by DonL »

crb wrote:Im using CerMark LMM-6000 ( co2 laser 80w) 50 pw x 300 speed ... still not working any suggestions??
I don't know what the issues are that you are having... I can guess I suppose...

If you are trying to etch thick material with a nickle (chrome) plate, it is very difficult The engraving is faint in some areas and good in others. I am working on finding out why and then a solution will be obvious.

It could be if there is a coating applied, For example, If you use a chrome polish such as Autosol on any metal, it places a thin corrosion resistant coating on the metal, that makes laser engraving with Cermerk or Thermark almost a waste of time because the chemicals in the coating change the reaction and prevents proper bonding.

The other common mistake is putting the coating of Cermark or Thermark on too thick or too thin, Too thin and there are areas that have little or no coverage so there is not enough marking chemical to react. Too thick and the chemical bonds to itself before actually embedding into the substrate so it looks good after the burn but almost all washes off when you rinse the material and uou are left with blotchy engraving or just faint pitting in the substrate.

It takes a few tries to get good at it and the key is No coatings on the metal, and a thin but even coating that completely covers the metal so you can't see the metal below, like a nice even and thin coat of paint. The laser power does not need to be too high, I think I used about 40% on a 35 watt laser at 200mm/s to engrave the metal in the photo below (and the graphic is supposed to look like that, it came out perfect)

I would suggest that you wash the item clean of any coatings with Acitone in nessisary then try again.
(This is covered in the instructions I believe)

If you can give me more detail, tell me what you are attempting to engrave, Maybe a photo or two, I may be able to help more.
20160210_185234.jpg
here is a penny with the text "Sample engraving using small fonts" indicated in red using cermark, it is hard to see because it is so small, The scan is a bit fuzzy but with a magnifind glass you can read it
penny.JPG
penny.JPG (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”