900 x 600 100Watt Laser Build

shanet94

900 x 600 100Watt Laser Build

Post by shanet94 »

This is our busiest time of the year at our business so a bit slow on getting things done :) We are building a 900x600 100watt laser with z-lift. My wife got the frame assembled for me first. Then we got the XY assembly built and installed. Great quality from LO all this stuff the bolts ect lined up and mated up perfectly. I have yet had to re drill any hole. I got the basic electronics in last night and the Y cable carrier bracket that I made. Will make the control panel next and will finish wiring up the motors soon!
Attachments
basic electoronics
basic electoronics
Laser Head with cable carrier
Laser Head with cable carrier
XY stage built and installed
XY stage built and installed
frame all done!
frame all done!
c.jpg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
this frame is too large for inside we had to finish the build out in the warehouse
this frame is too large for inside we had to finish the build out in the warehouse
b.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
I have a great wife :)
I have a great wife :)
a.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Tech_Marco

Re: 900 x 600 100Watt Laser Build

Post by Tech_Marco »

Wow! This is the first time I heard time a lady is interested in doing DIY laser!!
My wife doesn't care what I was building for the last 10yrs but only care how much I spent on those projects! :lol:

One thing I noticed from your pictures that I like the most, it is how neat of your workshop! I'm messy sometimes and I never can get my warehouse or my workshop (garage) as neat as yours!!
Well, shoot us more pictures and I'd to see it in action! Let me know if anything you need from me.

BTW, you may want to post your build log to other forum like CNCzone.com or http://sawmillcreek.org or any quality forum because I offer store credit or referral fee if you do it. My offer is $100 per post if it can attract 1000 view! Doing review on products on my site earn store credit as well

Marco ;)
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:Wow! This is the first time I heard time a lady is interested in doing DIY laser!!
My wife doesn't care what I was building for the last 10yrs but only care how much I spent on those projects! :lol:

One thing I noticed from your pictures that I like the most, it is how neat of your workshop! I'm messy sometimes and I never can get my warehouse or my workshop (garage) as neat as yours!!
Well, shoot us more pictures and I'd to see it in action! Let me know if anything you need from me.

BTW, you may want to post your build log to other forum like CNCzone.com or http://sawmillcreek.org or any quality forum because I offer store credit or referral fee if you do it. My offer is $100 per post if it can attract 1000 view! Doing review on products on my site earn store credit as well

Marco ;)
Its a 2300SF warehouse and we try to keep it clean :) We actually sell phone cases / phone accessories and other similar items so we have to keep it pretty clean :)
Shane
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

I am not trying to look like a idiot but how in the heck do you get this neck off the e-stop switch? The piece that i have circled?
Attachments
1.jpg
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

You must not!.... You see the white clip? pull that and the entire top will come out..

Kees
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Techgraphix wrote:You must not!.... You see the white clip? pull that and the entire top will come out..

Kees
Damn that easy :)

Thank you!
Shane
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

More updates :) still waiting on USPS to bring 1 item so i can cut the last hole in the control panel :/
Attachments
9.jpg
Motorized Z
Motorized Z
air line and limit switches pulled. XY morors wired
air line and limit switches pulled. XY morors wired
air line installed
air line installed
say it with love say it with Krylon
say it with love say it with Krylon
2.jpg
Box to sit on top of the Z-Lift
Box to sit on top of the Z-Lift
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Got the wood table mounted on the Z, the z motor / limits wired. Got a few more questions. Using the X7 DSP controller. The Z will only move a few inches up and down. I can move it until it stops hit the reset button and it will then move more. Its odd. I did find in

Main Menu : 05 Axes Control -> To Rest Z

I ran that and it went all the way to the max height limit. But again it only will now lower down like 1-2 inches. Is their another setting to set the minimum height? I am using this Z http://www.lightobject.com/Motorized-po ... -P902.aspx and have both min/max limit switches wired.

Something else i also noticed that the Z up arrow lowers the table and the z down arrow raises it. Got more reading to do!

Will post more pictures tomorrow of the progress.
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Started to work on the control panel today. I am not the best with a jigsaw so a bit ruff on the cuts :P It will look like a million bucks once its all mounted up. Printed the panel with our Logojet UV printer.
Will finish the wiring next week. Only get a little time each day because this is our busy season at work :)
Attachments
after it ran thru the UV printer.
after it ran thru the UV printer.
raw panel. cut out of aluminum sheet. I suck with a jigsaw hehe
raw panel. cut out of aluminum sheet. I suck with a jigsaw hehe
the fuse block and barrier strips installed
the fuse block and barrier strips installed
3.jpg
Honeycomb and box mounted to the Z axis and centered and leveled
Honeycomb and box mounted to the Z axis and centered and leveled
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

That's a nice build. How far have you got with it now?
Is it working?
If your Z axis runs the wrong way just swap 2 wires for the motor on the controller to change it's direction and that should fix it and if your Z axis hits soft limits then set your axis max length to to double what it is. You have limit switches on the table so it should be ok.
Nice workshop too. I can't even walk around in mine as I have so much stuff.
:-)
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

baccus61 wrote:That's a nice build. How far have you got with it now?
Is it working?
If your Z axis runs the wrong way just swap 2 wires for the motor on the controller to change it's direction and that should fix it and if your Z axis hits soft limits then set your axis max length to to double what it is. You have limit switches on the table so it should be ok.
Nice workshop too. I can't even walk around in mine as I have so much stuff.
:-)
Getting closer! Its all wired up, the chiller came in today. Will set that in tomorrow. I still need to install the tube / mirrors and wire in the power supply for the laser. Ordering the tube tomorrow. Other then that I should be gold :) Here is some more pics.
Attachments
control panel
control panel
back panel
back panel
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
fuse block
fuse block
2.jpg
Got the floor in
Got the floor in
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Hooking up the power supply today. Its a LO-150W

On the back it has FG AC AC

I would assume that FG = 110v Ground
but which AC is neutral and which AC is hot?
Attachments
Assume FG= Ground but what AC is hot and which is neutral?
Assume FG= Ground but what AC is hot and which is neutral?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It doesn't matter. Simply connect AC AC to either wire. FG = Ground
Great job!

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:It doesn't matter. Simply connect AC AC to either wire. FG = Ground
Great job!

Marco
Thank you ;)
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

loaded lasercad today, corrected the Z going the incorrect way on the DPS controller by going into options->manufacture settings->z key direction-> set it to positive. That corrected the down arrow being up and the up going down on the AWC708.

Got a new problem that I messed with today and could not solve. I was trying to get the Z table to stop once it hits the limit switches, i have one for the top and bottom height. Once it hits them it does nothing. Whats odd is if i go into the dsp controller and go to #5 reset z axis the machine will travel up until it hits the limit switch then stops as it should. I set the max range and i can get it to stop before it hits the bottom but its still ignoring the bottom limit switch.

If i power off the machine then turn it back on it now will go past the upper and lower limit switch. Its like every time i power on the machine i have to do a z reset thru the dsp controller and i know thats not right :) Here is someone having the same issue and no resolution was ever posted. I am having the exact issue. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2612&p=12488&hilit=limit#p12488

Lastly in manufacture parameters in lasercad i tried to adjust the max rage so that the X/Y would stop before it hits the frame. I set it to 900/600 since thats the bed size and it still hits both sideways to the left and down at the bottom. When i power on the machine it goes to the right top and parks itself off the limit switches so it will not hit here, just to the left or bottom. I even tried small numbers in the max range, 450/300 and it still made no difference.

Also on the dps if you go into the manufacture settings it has code 1,2,3 anyone know the code for this? I assume this is the manufacture settings on the dps itself. Took me awhile to figure out that lasercad software pass was 608 so if anyone is the future is trying to figure it out their it is :P

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”