Belt Tension

shanet94

Belt Tension

Post by shanet94 »

I am assembling the 900x600 XY stage now and had a few questions:

1. How tight are you suppose to tighten the belts?
2. One of the stepper motors is hard to turn by hand and makes kinda like a clicking noise. It is not wired up at all, is this normal?
3. I noticed that the trolley base/rail is not symmetrical on the X axis. The left side will hit the back rail a bit before the right. I should have taken a pic before i left. I checked and double checked it all seems square

Need to order more parts soon to continue the build :) So far have the frame + XY built. Will mount it all tomorrow.
Tech_Marco

Re: Belt Tension

Post by Tech_Marco »

1) By feeling. Hard to say. Just not too lose, but not too tight
2) Make sure wires were not tangled up while turning it by hands.
3) You need to pay attention to some wheels that mounted on the cartridge. A couple wheels are not having "center"axial but it is off a little bit. It is use to adjust the contact point against the metal rod. The cartridge should move freely without belt installed and no sharking or losing.

Marco
shanet94

Post by shanet94 »

Tech_Marco wrote:1) By feeling. Hard to say. Just not too lose, but not too tight
2) Make sure wires were not tangled up while turning it by hands.
3) You need to pay attention to some wheels that mounted on the cartridge. A couple wheels are not having "center"axial but it is off a little bit. It is use to adjust the contact point against the metal rod. The cartridge should move freely without belt installed and no sharking or losing.

Marco
1. it is not "guitar string" tight but you can push one it and it moves a good bit.
2. The wires are not hooked up at all, they are just out the back. I can make a video for you if you like
3. It glides super smooth ;)

Thanks
Shane
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

#1. Play a song with guitar string ( :lol: ). I think you're fine if not very tight.
#2. Let the 3 wires open then turn the motor clockwise and anti-clockwise. You should feel 'click.click..click..." movement but it should be very smooth. It is a stepping motor so each movement is 'click.click....'.
#3. Great!

Marco

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”